Glioblastoma Multiforme is a brain cancer death sentence

Published on January 2, 2006 at 9:36 PM · 42 Comments

With an equal rate of incidence and mortality-the number of those who get it, and the number of those who die from it-Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) is a brain cancer death sentence.

Of the approximately 12,000 people who are diagnosed with GBM annually in the U.S., half will die within a year, and the rest within 3 years. Currently, the only treatments that stretch survival limits are exceptionally invasive surgeries to remove the tumor and radiation treatment with the maximum tolerated dose - all of which leads to a painfully low quality of life. Because of this, researchers are racing to find better therapies to stop or slow GBM.

In the Jan. 1, 2006 issue of the journal Clinical Cancer Research, Gelsomina "Pupa" De Stasio, professor of physics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and her colleagues report on research into using a new radiotherapy technique for fighting GBM with the element gadolinium. The approach might some day lead to less invasive treatment and possibly a cure of this disease.

"It's the most lethal cancer there is. The only good thing about it is that, if left untreated, death is relatively quick and pain-free, since this tumor does not form painful metastases in other parts of the body," says De Stasio. The therapy, called Gadolinium Synchrotron Stereotactic Radiotherapy (GdSSR), requires a gadolinium compound to find tumor cells and penetrate them, down into their nuclei, while sparing the normal brain. Then, the patient's head is irradiated with x-rays. For these x-ray photons the whole brain is transparent, while gadolinium is opaque. Then, where gadolinium is localized-in the nuclei of the cancer cells only-what's known as "the photoelectric effect" takes place.

"Exactly 100 years after Einstein first explained this effect, we have found a way to make it useful in medicine," De Stasio says. "In this effect, atoms absorb photons and emit electrons. The emitted electrons are very destructive for DNA, but have a very short range of action. Therefore, to induce DNA damage that the cancer cells cannot repair, and consequently cell death, gadolinium atoms must be localized in the nuclei of cancer cells."

De Stasio adds that, for the treatment to be effective, gadolinium must be absent from normal cells and be present in the majority of the cancer cell nuclei. The first condition is well demonstrated by MRI, while the second was recently demonstrated using microscopy techniques at the Synchrotron Radiation Center (SRC) in Stoughton.

De Stasio, the first to introduce this technique into the biological and medical fields, is working to develop the therapy to treat GBM. In the current article, she and her colleagues prove that gadolinium reaches more than 90 percent of the cancer cell nuclei, using four different kinds of human glioblastoma cells in culture.

De Stasio developed and oversees the X-ray PhotoElectron Emission spectroMicroscopy (X-PEEM) program at UW Madison's SRC, where she also serves as interim scientific director.

The technology necessary for eventual treatment would involve miniature synchrotron light sources, which could be similar in size and cost to an MRI machine. De Stasio says the next steps will include animal and possibly human clinical trials.

"If we do see that we can cure animals from their cancers, then it's worth investigating the molecular biology of this drug and seeing what the uptake mechanism is," she says. "But first, you want to know that it works and that it really has potential for saving lives."

Because of the deadly nature of GBM, De Stasio says an alternative is desperately needed to current therapies that offer little promise for extending life. De Stasio says it will be a year before it is known whether the treatment works in animal models, and likely another five to ten years before clinical trials and available treatments would emerge.

While the human health payoff seems far away, De Stasio says she is committed to the timetable needed for success. "(Fighting cancer) is the type of work that makes you feel good about being a scientist," she says. "If you can really contribute to humanity and do something that's useful for people, for sick people, it's really incredibly gratifying."

Comments
  1. becka becka United Kingdom says:

AS someone who's mum has been diagnosed with a Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) I decided to research what the doctor had told us and to find a site entitled GBM is a cancer death sentence I was absolutely disgusted do you people not realise that the 1 thing that will get the victim of this vile disease and their family through is just a little bit of positive thinking.  I understand that the facts are grim but do you really need to relay this to people with so little empathy whoever wrote and published the article has obviously never exprienced loss or the thought of losing someone they love. I only hope you may change the title of your article just so the next heartbroken relative searching for some kind of hope does not read your pathetic article.

• honey honey United States says:

I am going through the same thing. doctors need more than skills they need a heart. wait till it knocks on their doorstep.

• Jenny Jenny Australia says:

The Web site title is not what it is all about, I have been what you are going through. And believe me if you can get help or advice from anyone on how to deal will with this incidious disease and how to deal with your feelings get from where you can. My husband was Diagnosed 3years ago on 11th November 2007 and died on 10th of February 2008 yes 3month so we didn't get a chance to do anything as he was going through all that so called treatment that was going to give him more time? It didn't help him he had not had one symptom until his first seizure. He was 56 Year Young.
      Now I am the one left to deal the pain and heartache of trying to cope to adjusting to a new life without a partner, after we had made plans to go travelling and just spend the rest of our lives together it was our time. now it's just nothing. So for all those of you who have been touch by this type of cancer and any other take the offer of help in any way shape or form and ask as many questions about your treatment as you can.

• Norma Garcia Norma Garcia United States says:

My mother just died recently like three weeks ago, during the time I was her caregiver. At times i felt hurt the way relatives would not be tactfull by asking me " If my mother was ready to die... if had asked her already. Sometimes people dont how to help and to many questions can be overhelming when can be critized by relatives about giving enough MEDS.

But i do not agree how about this cancer is a death sentence, there is always hope because that what God has promises... for those that believe and have faith. I know a brther in church was sick and so far he been healed by some stem cells that reactivate the stems cells again.

2. toni smith toni smith United States says:

Hello becka, I have been swimming through tons of any info I can find on the web with any glimmer of hope. My husband has been diagnosed, operated on this past july. One can only be brokenhearted. it was a shocker for me to see that title of the article, too. Obviously a supposed intelligence like that to make such a blunt and shocking statement I couldn't understand! I know we don't need sugar coating, but that was uncalled for. Positive thinking is everything and so very difficult but we do it for those we love dearly. My tom is my life. It takes all that I have to smile and encourage him on. These people must know what we are going through. I pray for him every day and I find  myself adding more people to my list at mass on sundays. I will pray for your mum. Most simcerely, toni........ps--my mom and I were born in England.!

• becka becka United Kingdom says:

Hi Toni, I am so so sorry to hear that your husband is also suffering from this form of cancer.  I do sincerly believe in positive thinking and it sounds as though you do to, if Tom can see that you are in high spirits then this whole experience will seem a little less scary for him.  Sometimes it is hard to shut our minds off to what is going on and it is hard to stay positive but this is all we have.  Tom will also be in my prayers.  No one knows what will be that is the whole point of living life for today.  be happy and enjoy life with your husband that is what I intend to do with my mum xx

3. eugenia eugenia United States says:

My Dad has this 'bad' cancer. Reading this news was hard to take and real. I just pray for everyone who is effected by this cancer. It really is as bad as this article says!! Dad was diagnosed in Oct of 2009 and born in Holland.

4. sufferer sufferer United States says:

Sorry guys, it is a death sentence !. There are no two ways about it. That is what this disease is all about. Nobody knows the reason why certain people get this, but it is true this disease means gradual body shutdown and death ! It is better to be prepared for the worst. But do your best to ensure that the patient is not aware of what he/she is going through, although people with knowledge of cancers and brain tumors will understand they are in death row. The only good news about this disease is that it kills painlessly !.

• garry garry United States says:

I'm sorry for your mothers' diagnosis.  My wife was diagnosed sept 10 - 2009, had surgery to remove most of the cancerous tumor from the brain sept 11, 2009, and was home walking around in 1 week. She didn't loose any cognitive ability, just minor memory, hand writing ability stuff,  but she was my life soul mate, been together 30 years. I lost her 10 days ago feb 19, and I'm devistated.  They didn't tell us it was such a death sentance. She had radiation therapy for like 8 weeks, which stopped the growth, but one day she became un-responsive, I called an ambulance, took her to ER hospital, she had a stroke, neumonia, a blood clot move from her thigh to her lungs and cat scans showed a new mass on the other side of brain, after just having an MRI several weeks before. She stayed un-responsive for the few days she lived in ICU and then slipped quitely away. The lord needed her more than me, but I will be with her again.  Good luck to you. I hope you have religious faith, it has helped me a lot.  All my love Garry.

5. Tom Hennessy Tom Hennessy Canada says:

Neuroblastoma was considered to be a death sentence too. Ten years ago a man asked this about his nephew. I told him about the research linking iron and cancer and how they are getting results with drugs such as deferoxamine an iron chelator. NOW they are using iron chelator drugs in cancer. One doctor may tell you there is no hope but OTHER doctors who actually DO THEIR HOMEWORK .. may .. be able to actually give you hope and treatment .. 'heroically'!

6. Carolyn Timms Carolyn Timms Australia says:

My husband Jim has just been stricken with this horrible disease. It is a total bitch to process the stark reality of it and I feel for those who are offended by the title of this article - because it is bloody scary territory. However I would rather know the facts than dwell in a scary 'fairy land'. Jim has asked the questions and got the answers... now we have to adjust to it and make the most of the time we have together.  We have a great medical team and very supportive people around us so believe that we will get through it.

7. KISHORE T KISHORE T United States says:

I am a stage 3 Melanoma survivor (first diagnosed in June 08)  - now I am healthy because of Yoga ! I am an East Indian settled in the US (New Jersey)  - and I find that westerners are very skeptical of the curative powers of Yoga  - I don't want to write a long letter here - but I can say with all confidence that cancer can be controlled by yoga (combination of breathing exercises & asanas (physical exercises))  - I am willing to teach these techniques free of cose to any serious takers  - if it saves even one life I will feel gratified.

Cancer cannot be 'cured' by external medicines, it has to be cured from within the body.

• Hyder Hyder United States says:

Hi Kishore, Could you help me, my daughter was just diagnosed with  GBM and she is only 16 years old.

• Vikas Singh Vikas Singh United States says:

I do believe that for something like this, only your body has the power to heal itself. It needs time. Western meds can give the time. every day is a gift to keep trying as it also gives me the time spend time with my loved ones and an opportunity to fight this cancer. Loved ones, no one single person can do this, they need and army of friends and family to beat this.

Will keep you all posted!!

Control what you can do and leave the rest to God to figure out.

- Vikas

Ps: these are very emotional times and for everyone in this group. I wrote this post with intent to help. Please forgive me if I hurt someone. I intent to fight this and take care of my loved ones till last second and take care of them Anything less will be unfair to my loved ones.

8. Haydee J Haydee J United States says:

Yes, for a cancer patient to read the title of this article is depressing. My mother's condition is worsening. She was diagnosed Nov 2008 with this type of brain cancer and has had two surgeries. Her strong will has kept her alive so far. She's in ICU again and has cold sores around her mouth, herpes maybe, and isn't expected to last long. I saw her today and felt very happy to be with her. I can relate to everyone's comments here. I am devastated by this disease.

9. Becs Becs United Kingdom says:

Hi Haydee, I am so sorry to hear about your mum.  Just by being with her you are helping her. Even though mum was not with it she still held my hand and she even cuddled me.  We decided to get her moved to the hospital cancer centre when the time was coming near and it was the best decision we could have made.  Mum was in such lovely surroundings and we were all there with her.  Perhaps it is worth talking to your family about what you would like to do.  We did not know the seriousness until 4 days before mum died.  She had made a decision not to find out how long she had left and when she was told she had requested that the family were not told as she did not want to upset us, typical mum!!!!!  Everybody is different in how they deal with things and I will not say I understand as everyones circumstances are different but I do know how I felt and how I feel now 4 months on.  If you ever need to email me as someone who has been through and going through the same as you then please do.  You can feel so alone when these things happen even though you are surrounded by so many people who care.  Your mum and yourself will be in my prayers.  Take Care Becs x

10. Steve Steve Australia says:

There is a growing body of evidence supporting alternative and integrative treatments, unfortunately the medical world speak against these treatments as there is no money in it. Read Ian Gawler's book "how to conquer cancer" I have lost both my parents to this disease, my brother is in the final stages of GBM and my partner has stage 3 Ovarian cancer. I couldnt face any more losing battles with cancer and looked for alternatives, my partner had debulking surgery but has refused Chemotherapy, she is currently doing very well on the Gawler programme and has a great quality of life, there are no guarantees but we believe its a far better way. I highly recommend that everyone should consider all of their options both medical and non medical.

• jay jay India says:

hi stere..so sympathy to u to hear about your family to face this deadly monster...I pray to God for you to give you facing courages to fight this sorrow..

My father was passed away just 1 month b4..due to GBM.. really its horrible and terrifying situation...had to b faced by my family....

11. dying dying United States says:

Lost my wife at 400 am today. Going out of my mind. She made me better person. Can't cope!

12. Jude Jude United States says:

My maternal grandmother died from a brain tumor when I was very young.She was in her late fifties. My mother was diagnosed with GBM just a few years ago - we only had two months with her before she passed away at the age of 86.She had a long full life and, thankfully, never comprehended that she had a brain tumor.
    Now my older brother, age 63, was diagnosed with GBM last month. They removed the tumor immediately (99%....) and he is scheduled to begin treatment next week. He doesn't seem to fathom the severity or reality of his diagnosis / prognosis, which may be a blessing for him.
    For the rest of the family is the inevitable early loss of yet another loved one, and questions about OUR future.

13. kerry kerry United Kingdom says:

My dear Dad was diagnosed last may with GBM, underwent unsucessful surgery to remove the tumour, unfortunately his tumour was attached to so many blood vessels he almost bled to death under surgery. Has had all the radiotherapy he's alowed and chemo just isn't working, the tumour has more than doubled size in the last month. The last few weeks have been awful to watch, he's like a little boy, every day he seems to be getting worse. His partner is now looking into hospice care as she's struggling to cope and feels incredibly guilty. He's only 55. We'r all praying for him

• ellie ellie United Kingdom says:

hi kerry so sorry to hear about your dad,my mum got diagnosed last oct,she has got 2 more cycles of chemo to go,and her last scan is showing signs of progression,i totally understand what your going through, it would be lovely to hear back from your as at times like this you feel soo alone,many thanks ellie

14. Chris Chris Canada says:

Hello Everyone….we are currently going through the first stages of my grandmother who is and always had been a mother to me of this dreadful disease. She is 71 and had no symptoms at the beginning as far as we knew then all of a sudden she couldn't finish her sentences and come up with our name or correct words. She had a 6 hour brain surgery and the neurosurgeon kept her awake to do speech mapping as the tumour was the size of a grapefruit and on her cognitive area of her brain. She had her staples out yesterday and an EKG today??? we are not sure why, no follow up mri or cat scan yet as its only been two weeks this friday that she had her surgery. She is on 2mg of dexa a day, and she does not seem any better than before the surgery. The neurosurgeon said it was grade 4 gbm my family is in denial and thinks she has a good 5-10 years of her life left, some of my family not too many of us though know that is not realistic, this is the worst and i would like to talk to someone about what to expect and how to deal with my family during all of this, as this is so frustrating and i don't know what to expect with radiation chemo and the outcome of the symptoms, Thanks and sorry for rambling on Smile

15. Jerry Jerry United States says:

my partner of 45 yrs. was diagnosed with gbm this past may and had the tumor removed in june.  he just started his chemo (avastin) iv and temador tablets.  we decided on a clinical trial being offered by ucla.  it's only chemo.  no radiation.  a neurologist told us that radiation would affect his memory and cognitive functions.  that scared us.  we only hope that we've made the right decision on his treatment.
    i'm well aware of this being an incurable disease.  he don't want to face reality.  therefore, he thinks the chemo will completely heal him.  he's very upbeat and positive.  i'm not going to burst his bubble.

16. Anne Anne Canada says:

I lost my mom to another rare and "bad" cancer (cholangio carcinoma) 11 months ago. She battled the horrible disease for 7 months, 7 days, 4 hours and 13 minutes. Three days ago we found out our friend's daughter was diagnosed with GBM. Two family friends lost their battles with cancer (ovarian and pancreatic) in the last two years. My thoughts and heart go out to anyone battling this dreaded disease!

17. Dan Dan United States says:

Hello, and my sympathy to all. My mother in law is going through multi tests due to her passing out and going into seizures. Please can any of you tell me what the symptoms were that lead up to this disease. they are saying that she may have this and that she needs to do a brain biopsy. please let me know. Thank you.

18. Bonnie Bonnie United States says:

I know something about glioblastoma (GBM), having gone through it with my husband.  His initial symptom was having "auras" that involved a strange metallic taste in his mouth and feeling a bit agitated.  After a few months of this, he had a grand mal seizure during the night.  Upon seeking treatment, GBM was suspected but not confirmed until 10 months later!  Getting a definitive diagnosis from MRI's was most frustrating throughout his illness.  Researchers are working to get better imaging so that a diagnosis can be made and proper treatment started.  I trust by now you have a diagnosis for your loved one and that it is NOT GBM.

• susan susan United Kingdom says:

Been reading all comments tonight and any chance i get.My husband has just been diagnosed with grade 4 Glioblastoma Malforme (malignent). He only ever took one fit or seizure which was in April 2012, told not to drive. Then had umpteen scans and outcome above. he is devasted, told to give up driving, not allowed to caravan anymore. But beginning to see why as all he does just now is sleep. not started any treatment yet. but he will come 14th November for 6 weeks radiotherapy plus chemotherapy also. yes wonder why if no long lasting results. he is quite content at the moment although he has slowed down substantially but is it worth all the treatment when the prognosis is rubbish. or should we always hope anyway. do we let them suffer or let them go? in my eyes he is already gone because everything he loved has been taken away from him driving, dignity, freedom, pride, walking. (taking his beloved dog out) going out for a meal. He cannot manage now as he gets extremely tired.

• lisa palombo lisa palombo United States says:

I just lost my dad to GBM two weeks ago. Your reference is the first time I had ever heard anyone else refer to the "strange metallic taste". About 18 months ago my dad began to complain of a metallic taste in his mouth. Eventually, he could no longer enjoy to drink  beverages, especially coffee and tea, because of how horrible things began tasting to him. Even foods tasted awful. He became very frustrated and went to many different types of doctors to help determine what was causing this taste. He was eventually treated for sinus issues. The metallic taste never went away - and no solution was found by any doctor. Little by little, he began dreading eating and drinking due to the fact that certain foods/drinks tasted horrible. He compared it to tasting "kerosene". Well, 5 months ago, dad was diagnosed with GBM. Did the connection between the two exist as far back as 2011? There was this one Ear, Nose and Throat doctor who told dad that the cause of this taste stemmed from the brain and that he would have to live with it. As fate would have it, after dad's surgery to remove the GBM tumor and with the treatments that followed - THE TASTE DISAPPEARED and for the final months of dad's life he was able to enjoy foods and drinks again. Dad did have an MRI in April of 2012 due to a slight stroke but at that point there were no indications of the tumor. It was in August of 2012 that he was taken to the hospital for additional tests due to various symptoms. The tumor was then diagnosed. Funny how things changed so rapidly from April to August. Was the taste dad developed over a year ago a precursor of things to come?

19. Stein Arild Strømme Stein Arild Strømme Norway says:

Time has passed since the original post, and luckily there are now counterexamples to the first sentence, me among them.  I was diagnosed with GBM and had it surgically removed in November 2009, and subsequently received my full radiation dose of 60 Gy at the same time as I was given Temodal.  The Temodal treatment lasted for about 7 months.  I have survived more than three years now, and intend to stay alive for several more years, God willing.  My hospital (Haukeland University Hospital in Bergen, Norway) takes new control NMR images every three months, as long as I'm alive Smile
    I'm writing a blog (in Norwegian) at http://rapporterfrasteinarild.blogspot.com with the full story, although these days the blog is only updated after each control scan.

My deepest sympathy to those less fortunate than myself, and to the people close to them.

• Susan Williams Susan Williams United States says:

Sure wish I could read your blog&share in English. My Dad has GBM diagnosed 5 months ago. Chemo pills&radiation.He just had MRI and shows its growing again..so a port put in yesterday to give chemo straight to the spot.He is still working but weak.working on Cancer fighting diet.thank you for sharing your journeySmile very encouraging.

• Susan Carroll Susan Carroll United States says:

My son was diagnosed with GBM In early Jan 2013, he is only 33 and raising a 3 year old daughter on his own, they have him on the kemo pills and I wondered why and I was told that with regular kemo the brain tissue will not absorb it where as the pill have more of a time release to let more enter the brain, have you ever herd this.. He has been taking them since January without one side effect.

• Rick Robbins Rick Robbins Canada says:

It is always nice to hear another success story. I too am a GBM4 brain cancer warrior.  I have been living with this cancer for 4 years (Oct 2009) and I am looking forward to many more.   I had a 2nd surgery after 3 years Oct 2012) and two more tumours were removed. I have met a gentleman who is now in his 19th year and doing well.  I am looking forward to my next 15 years "Living with Cancer and Not just Dieing from it."

20. Lyryn Yacoe Lyryn Yacoe United States says:

13 years ago my mother in law was diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma - gave the woman 3 months to live.  Apparently she was the 10% That lived longer then expected.  13 YEARS!!!  What a gift!  She was able to see me and my husband marry... The births of my two boys and sow into our lives more than ever!  We are blessed!

HOWEVER - in the last year she has rapidly declined!!  Started with her tripping and falling.  Then needed a walker, then couldn't walk.  Then couldn't move her right side all together!!! in the last month her speech has become gibberish and THIS WEEK?  She is quickly becoming a vegetable!!!!!  Our family is dumbfounded!  How for 13 years she seemed to have beaten it ... to turning into mush in a matter of a year!?  How can this have come on so quickly?

FYI - in the last year she has seen her doctor at least three times a month.  Had several MRI's and has been closely looked at.  They first told her that this was happening because she had brain nicroses from the radiation.  But three weeks ago they told her they saw the tumor again.  So is this thing just growing at such a fast pace its killing her faster?

Anyway.... 2 years I would have told you that this is not a death sentence.  But now that it has come back and completely distorted her?  I'm thankful for the time I had with her.  Praying she goes quick and suffers no longer.

21. ???
    Jo Strong Jo Strong United States says:

I have been dx w/ GBM in April...surgery the next day. Radiation 33 days w chemo, and now the 5 days a month dosage. So far I have slight memory loss, some mornings I am a little dizzy.  Most mornings I walk my dog 1.4 miles, do the laundry , cooking, and some cleaning. Trying to get my affairs in order, my grown kids are in denial, my husband is terrified. All in all, I am thankful for the 'extra ' days and the ability to enjoy them. I am 62 y/o and up till April worked as An RN on a busy surgical unit. Have dealt w/ DVT and pulmonary emboli..  I have had a renewal of my faith and that is a lot of my strength.. also my dog and my husband.  I hope that all of you have the support that I was fortunate enough to have.

22. Dianne Capes Dianne Capes South Africa says:

Hi Good day
    I would love to know from anyone please:
    My sister in law's husband been diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer, had op, had 6 chemo sessions over period of six months.

They have booked flights to go visit their daughter overseas in Switzerland coming Dec 2013.
    All went well until last weekend. They always go for walk on beach every Saturday and Sunday mornings. Did not do it this past week end because of weather. He has lost weight.
    Brain functions excellent, speech a bit slow but quite normal still, able to carry on helping out at his old work (has retired since February 2013) but it kept him busy.

Went for MRI scan this morning (bought it forward because of motor skills, like walking all of a sudden just changed since Saturday!!) went for MRI scan will know results tomorrow. apparently he has become completely disorientated since they got home after the MRI scan this morning.!!

e.g. Went to toilet and could not do anything, messed all over, his clothes, the floor every where, my sister in law phoning doctor now.

Surely this is not a good sign at all?

He used to drive no problem but since Sunday can not allow him to anymore!!

He has shocked the doctors and oncology team as they have never seen such a fantastic result after brain surgery and the way he came out of chemo treatment every 4 weeks.
    They have all been amazed and told my sister in law due to the fact that he  never smoked or drank alcohol on a regular basis, that that was one of the reasons that he was doing so well.
    He has also been a vegetarian since his 50th birthday he is 65 yrs old now.  He lived a very healthy active life. Walks every weekend, some canoeing and was active while working, being an Electrical Engineer used to climbing into roof's for inspection and going down shafts etc.!!

Hearing about his sudden deterioration freaks me out quite frankly!!

What do you think or know about this cancer glioblastoma stage 4 cancer and the way he is behaving now at present?
    Can the co-ordination just go like that within span of 2 days?
    My other sister in law also had this cancer and she passed away after 3yrs. She had the exact cancer as what her sister's husband has now.

Please give me some advice or good news! We both know that this does not sound good !!

I just hope that they will be able to fly over to Switzerland to at least see his daughter and grand children and be able to fly back in the New year!!!! Is there any one out there that could give us an answer please??

My via email: dbcapes@yahoo.com

I would really appreciate it!!!
    Thanking you kindly - Best regards to all - Dianne Capes

23. Justin Thyme Justin Thyme Canada says:

There is hope. I go to a support group and there is an individual there that is a 19 year survivor of GBM4 in the brain and is doing quite well. I also have GBM4 in the brain and I am in my 5th yr. I have had 2 surgeries removing 3 tumours, and there are more growing. My right temporal, and frontal lobes have been severely damaged. I have been assured that I will die from it.

The following brain functions have been severely impacted,
    My planning
    My organizing
    My problem solving
    My memory
    My impulse control
    My decision making
    My selective attention
    My cognitive abilities
    Controlling my behaviour and emotions
    My hearing
    My language
    My prognosis was 15 months. I may have been living on death row for 4 years now, but I feel I like have been "living with cancer", and not just "dyeing from it". I can't return to work but there are worse things.

24. brandon jager brandon jager United States says:

MY mom was diagnosed just after Christmas of 2012 with GBM. She had surgery in February and took chemotherapy. The doctors were straightforward in saying there was not much hope, but we kept hope anyway. The day my mom had her surgery we found out my dad had a brain tumor too. They said his was a secondary cancer from his lungs. My mom died in June after unsuccessful treatments. My dad had gamma knife and cyber knife treatments. He did well for several months and always had a good attitude. He died the day after Christmas of 2013.  They both suffered similarly in the end. It was the shittiest year ever. Good luck to all.