A revolutionary, fully portable, high-performance liquid chromatograph (HPLC) is now offered by Axcend, for manufacturing or laboratory applications.
The HPLC can be manually carried anywhere and utilized on the spot—within a laboratory, on a manufacturing line, or even in the field. Such HPLC flexibility was not available until now.
The Axcend Focus LC® offers greater sensitivity when compared to other UV-absorption-based HPLC systems, delivering precise results quickly. It uses 1/500th of the solvents and produces 1/500th of the waste.
The HPLC, designed in the laboratories of Professor Milton Lee at Brigham Young University, is the first truly mobile gradient liquid chromatograph in the world. It offers greater flexibility and new opportunities for performing mobile analyses.
The Axcend Focus LC® includes the following features:
- Offers greater HPLC sensitivity through dual or single miniaturized LED UV-absorption-based detectors
- Measures about 32 cm x 23 cm x 20 cm and weighs 7.82 kg (17.25 lbs)
- Easy cartridge-based system enables quick setup and operation without the need for tools
- Internal diameter (ID) capillary columns measuring 150 µm are filled with 1.7–3 µm fused silica particles (other materials and sizes are also possible)
- AC power or rechargeable battery for field or laboratory
- Secure wired and wireless control and data output via connected tablets or computers running prominent web browsers
- Needs substantially smaller amounts of samples and solvents, with considerably less waste (as little as 1/500th)
The Axcend Focus LC®—the latest, portable, high-performance liquid chromatograph (HPLC)—makes HPLC Anywhere® a reality.
The size of the Axcend Focus LC® capillary solution resembles that of a shoebox, and provides greater sensitivity when compared to other UV-absorption-based HPLC systems. It uses 1/500th of the solvents and generates 1/500th of the waste. Thanks to its compact size and low weight, it can be used anywhere, for example, within a fume hood, in the laboratory bench, in-the-field analysis, directly on a production line, etc.
The Axcend Focus LC® makes use of dual or single on-column UV-absorption detectors that are easily integrated into a compact and user-friendly cartridge system.
Axcend’s 150-μm ID fused silica capillary columns are generally packed with 1.7–3.0-μm stationary phase particles (with other column dimensions and packing material also possible). In addition, the Axcend Focus LC® has a portable design that enables easy integration with auto-samplers, and allows effortless coupling with mass spectrometers, together with secure wired or wireless control and data output via the connected devices.
- Axcend Focus LC® (height x width x depth)
- 20.1 cm x 23.1 cm x 32.0 cm (7.9″ x 9.1″ x 12.6″)
- Weight (without cartridge): 7.82 kg (17.25 lbs)
- Axcend Focus LC® cartridges (height x width x depth)
- 4.1 cm x 11.2 cm x 18.8 cm (1.6″ x 4.4″ x 7.4″)
- Single detector cartridge: 0.26 kg (9.0 oz.)
- Dual detector cartridge: 0.29 kg (10.1 oz.)
- Solvent and waste vials (height x diameter)
- Solvent-A vial: 6.0 cm x1.6 cm (2.38″ x 0.63″)
- Solvent-A vial (volume): 9.0 mL
- Solvent-B vial: 4.5 cm x 1.5 cm (1.75″ x 0.56″)
- Solvent-B vial (volume): 5.0 mL
- Waste vial: 7.0 cm x 2.0 cm (2.75″ x 0.81″)
- Waste vial (volume): 17.0 mL
- Axcend Focus LC® cartridge
- Simple one-way manual insertion/removal
- Hand-tightened AssurLoc™ system offers ferrule alignment and prevents leaks
- Topside port with automated or manual injection
- Solvent and waste vial access
- Easy front panel insertion into, or removal from the Axcend Focus LC® front panel
- One-button start/stop control
- Up to 10,000 psi (689 bar)
- UV-absorption detectors (single or dual)
- Capillary columns (single or dual)
- Length: 50, 100, 150, 200, or 250 mm
- Internal diameter (ID): 150 μm
- Standard: 1.7–3.0 μm fused silica particles
- Optional: Up to 5.0 μm, with other packing
The shoebox-sized Axcend Focus LC® is a lightweight HPLC designed for both field and laboratory use.
Solvent and Sample Management
- Internal loop: 4, 10, 20, 30, or 40 nL
- External loop: ≥175 nL
- High-pressure mixing, binary gradient
- User-defined through software interface
- Fused silica
- 316 stainless steel
Solvent and waste storage
All vials can be easily accessed and incorporated within the Axcend Focus LC®.
Secure wired and wireless HPLC output and control of the Axcend Focus LC® takes place via computers that support HTML5. Following are the operating systems that are specifically supported:
- Computer operating systems supported
- Mac High Sierra and later
- Windows v7 and higher
- Ubuntu 16.04 and later
- 100–240 V (AC); 50/60 Hz; 1.4 amp
- 12 V (DC), 126 Wh (LiFePO4, with higher chemical and thermal stability than standard Li-ion batteries)
- 10+ hours without recharging
- Greater than 2000 charge/discharge cycles