The MicroCal VP-Capillary DSC is a highly sensitive, fully automated, high-throughput differential scanning calorimeter for characterizing protein and biomolecule stability. The resulting data provide critical guidance for biopharmaceutical development, from protein engineering, through pre-formulation and process development, to formulation of the final product. Unattended operation enables 24-hour working while integrated software streamlines workflow and data analysis, delivering results in hours and driving productivity in biopharmaceutical research.
DSC is a powerful analytical tool for characterizing the stability of proteins and other biomolecules. It measures the enthalpy (ΔH) and temperature (Tm) of thermally-induced structural transitions in solution. This information gives valuable insights into factors that stabilize or destabilize proteins, nucleic acids, micellar complexes and other macromolecular systems. The data are used to predict shelf-lives, develop purification strategies, characterize and evaluate protein constructs or other biotherapeutic entities, and to rank the affinities of ligands to a protein target in small molecule drug discovery programs.
Principles of Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)
The high-throughput, high-sensitivity MicroCal VP-Capillary DSC system features software that streamlines workflow through simplified experiment setup and flexible instrument scheduling. Automated data analysis and improved data sorting help relieve analysis bottlenecks, reducing data analysis time for a typical experiment from days to hours.
- Industry-proven stability-indicating technique requiring minimal assay development for rapid identification of optimum stability conditions.
- Direct measurement of biomolecular stability in solution achieved with molecules studied in their native state with no labeling.
- Standard 96-well plate format ensures high capacity and easy loading, with thermostatically controlled storage of up to 6 plates.
- Fully integrated autosampler enables running of up to 50 samples per day.
- Automated filling, injection and cell cleaning functions permit unattended operation 24/7.
- Powerful software reduces data analysis of typical experiments from days to hours.
- Active cell volume of 130 µL, with typical concentration requirements of just 0.2 mg/mL, allows thermodynamic measurement of scarce or precious samples.
- Can be used for solutions that interfere with optical methods, including turbid, colored or particulate samples.
- Nonreactive Tantalum 61 cells provide excellent chemical resistance and ensure inertness when working with proteins and other biomolecules.
- Fixed-in-place cells deliver reproducible ultrasensitive performance with low maintenance.
- Matched capillary cells provide fast scan rates and fast temperature equilibration.
- Controlled by an intelligent user interface, VPViewer™ with automated data analysis performed using MicroCal-enabled Origin® software.
- Complete system includes ThermoVac sample preparation and cleaning device and requires no additional accessories, reagents or consumables.
- Tm shift ligand binding screens.