The MicroCal VP-DSC is a highly sensitive, easy-to-use differential scanning calorimeter for the study of samples in solution. It is used to directly measure the intramolecular stability of structured macromolecules such as proteins and nucleic acids as well as the intermolecular stability of complexes such as oligomeric proteins, nucleic acid duplexes and lipid and detergent micellar systems.
Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) is a powerful analytical tool for characterizing the stability of proteins and other molecules. The MicroCal VP-DSC provides fast, accurate transition midpoint (Tm) determination and can generate a thermodynamic profile for samples to provide insight into the factors that affect conformation and stability.
Principles of Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)
The MicroCal VP-DSC delivers the ability to study molecules in their native state without labeling and can be used with colored solutions or turbid suspensions. It measures very tight binding constants, up to 1020M-1. Unattended operation after sample loading frees operator time and this complete system requires no additional accessories, reagents or consumables.
Typical applications include determining protein stability and the thermodynamics of unfolding, antibody domain structure determination, characterization of membranes and lipids, and the measurement of ultra-tight molecular interactions.
- Non-reactive Tantalum cells for excellent chemical resistance.
- Fixed in-place cells for reproducible, ultrasensitive performance with low maintenance.
- Three user selectable response times for maximum performance.
- User selectable temperature scan rates and range for application versatility.
- Self-contained pressurization system (0.45 psi) for studying solutions above their boiling point.
- Pressure Perturbation Calorimetry accessory available for determining partial specific volumes.
- Peltier element for precise temperature.
- Includes MicroCal Thermovac™ sample preparation and cleaning device.
- Controlled by VPViewer™ software and data analysis performed with Origin®.
- Tm shift ligand binding screens.