The Port-a-Patch is a miniaturized patch clamp system from Nanion Technologies that supports giga-seal recordings from a single cell at a time. It provides easy and quick access to superior quality patch clamp data with very little training. Besides being a robust research tool, it is also suitable for rapid tests of ion channels and cells, as well as educational purposes.
The advantages of the Port-a-Patch are listed below:
- Whole-cell and perforated patch clamp
- Temperature control
- Internal and external perfusion
- Voltage and current clamp
- Chips made in-house and multiple resistances available (can be tailored on demand)
- Voltage and ligand-gated ion channels
- R-series compensation
- High success rates with cell lines; stem cells and primary cells can also be used
- User-friendly, only minimal training is necessary
- Parameters can be adjusted during experiments for quick and efficient assay development
- Limitless compound applications
The Port-a-Patch can be used simply and directly—users can just add cells and solutions onto the disposable recording chip, where a cell is automatically trapped and sealed by suction using a computer-controlled pump. A microscope or micro-manipulator is not necessary.
The Port-a-Patch system includes a computer, a HEKA amplifier, a suction control unit, and the Port-a-Patch recording unit. If an amplifier is already present, this can be combined with the Port-a-Patch system in a majority of cases. Additional add-ons such as microscope slides, temperature control, or automated perfusion systems are available for particular assays.