The Neopterin ELISA from Tecan offers users a sensitive test to quantify neopterin, which acts as an initial warning system of infection in the body. Neopterin can act as a biomarker for infection of the body by attacking pathogens. Recent study indicates that it can help assess the severity of a SARS-CoV-2 infection.1,2
Figure 1. Schematic time course of neopterin concentration in blood, in relation to antibody presence due to viral infection.3 Image Credit: Tecan
Main advantages of Tecan Neopterin ELISA
- Early detection of a current infection in the body
- Regulatory status Europe: CE*
- Bacterial and viral infections can be detected
- Good correlation with HPLC (serum r = 0.92; urine r = 0.99)
- Validated for urine, plasma (EDTA) and serum
- Entire testing procedure, including results, can be completed within two hours
- Can be utilized automated or manually on open-format ELISA processors**
*The combined use of assay, process script and instrument should be individually validated on site by each laboratory.
**The product may not be available in users’ area. They can contact their local Tecan representative.
- Evaluation of the severity of an COVID-19 infection (Ozger et al, 2020; Hailemichael et al., 2021).
- Differential diagnosis between viral and bacterial infections (Murr et al., 2002; Plata-Nazar et al., 2015).
- Schennach H, et al. Increased prevalence of IgM antibodies to Epstein-Barr virus and parvovirus B19 in blood donations with above-normal neopterin. Clinical Chemistry, 1994, 40, 2104. doi.org/10.1128/CVI.00380-08.