The Opentrons® OT-2 is an open-source, high-precision liquid handler that is easy to use and has the flexibility to automate a wide range of application workflows. Numerous methods and workflows in proteomics, drug discovery, genomics, and cell-based assays are automated through this robot and its automation platform.
The OT-2 Pipetting Robot's Hardware Explained
Video Credit: Opentrons
The OT-2 boasts an easy-to-use graphical interface that can be used to develop protocols that are compatible with any automation-friendly or ANSI/SBS compliant labware. An Opentrons GEN2 Single-Channel Pipette is included in the base model, and up to two pipettes can be used simultaneously. Extra pipettes are readily replaceable by the user and are available for separate purchase. Additional labware and consumables are offered separately.
- Accuracy: 15% at 1uL
- Precision: 5% at 1uL
- Throughput: Fast fill a 96-well plate in 22 seconds
- Versatile open-source platform.
- Self-serve unboxing and installation
- Reagent agnostic
- Plug-and-play configuration that allows for instant assay implementation and access to protocol libraries
- Easily incorporates with the existing instruments
- Compatible with reservoirs, adapters, microplates, deep-well plates, ANSI/SBS compatible tubes, and automation-friendly microplates
- Allows USB or Ethernet connections (an external dongle is included).
- Simple electronic access through an external PCBA enclosure.
- There are four USB ports available to accommodate connecting different modules.
- LED indicators give users feedback and help with diagnosis and troubleshooting related to system processing, ethernet and network connectivity, instrument power level, and diagnosis.
- Biochemical Assays
- Drug Discovery
- Cell-based Assays
Dimensions: 63 cm×57 cm×66 cm/25 in×22.5 in×26 in (W,D,H)
- Tested to UL 61010-1 safety standard.
- Meets the requirements outlined in the following EU Directives to receive the CE mark.
- Low Voltage Directive
- Machinery Directive
- ROHS Directive
- EMC Directive
Pipetting in single and many channels is possible. Two pipette mounts can be used with one, two, or eight channels of pipettes. Pipettes can be switched out with ease.
Pipette volumes and specs
- Single channel: 1–1000 µl
- 8-channel: 1–300 µl
# of deck slots
- Numerous configurations are possible with 11 deck slots. Standard SBS dimensions are compatible with deck slots. There's also a detachable trash bin on the deck.
- WiFi 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.11b/g/n, USB 2.0
Video and audio
Integrated audio system and video camera for added or customized capabilities.
- 100-240 VAC / 50-60 Hz
- 220 W MAX
Rigid steel and CNC aluminum design.
Operating temperature & relative humidity
Recommended 20–24C. Recommended 40–60% RH.
It takes 22 seconds to fill a 96-well plate.
Enclosed in a full polycarbonate structure to reduce exposure. There is no sterility in the OT-2. Users can add the Opentrons HEPA Module or their UV lights.
Plate type compatibility
Employ 384 or 96 well plates. For the best deck compatibility and touch tips, use 96-well plates. Suitable with 384-well plates maximum.
Connects to any product that is API-compatible. Users can modify Opentrons software to interface it with other products as needed because it is an open-source program. All integrations can be achieved, but they all demand custom code, which means that most users will have to install software packages that are not included with the robot and create bespoke libraries.
Windows 10, macOS 10.10 or later, Ubuntu 12.04 or later.
Utilize the Opentrons Filter Tips and Opentrons Tips. The effectiveness of Opentrons Tips, which were created especially for the OT-2, is guaranteed by Opentrons. Third-party universal recommendations can be employed by clients who are willing to put up with possibly subpar performance.
Utilize the standard labware currently in the Labware Library or add the user’s own. The team or the user can add their own labware if it fits on the OT-2 but is not in the Labware Library by utilizing the Labware Creator.
Opentrons OT-2 robot. Image Credit: Opentrons
Liquid handling robot. Image Credit: Opentrons
Open-source liquid handler. Image Credit: Opentrons
Automated pipetting robot. Image Credit: Opentrons
Opentrons OT-2 pipetting robot. Image Credit: Opentrons
3D printed pipetting robot. Image Credit: Opentrons
Open source life science pipetting robot. Image Credit: Opentrons
Automated liquid handling. Image Credit: Opentrons
Automated liquid handler Opentrons. Image Credit: Opentrons
Opentrons liquid handler. Image Credit: Opentrons
Easy automation for life scientists. Image Credit: Opentrons
Robots for biologists. Image Credit: Opentrons