Symptoms of ileus include, but are not limited to:
- moderate, diffuse abdominal discomfort
- abdominal distension
- nausea/vomiting, especially after meals
- lack of bowel movement and/or flatulence
- excessive belching
- gastrointestinal surgery or other GI procedures
- electrolyte imbalance
- diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), and other causes of metabolic
- medications (e.g. opiates)
- severe illness (Inflammation with peritonitis)
- spinal cord injury (SCI), those with injury above thoracic
vertebrae 5 (T5) will have hypomotility problems within the bowel
This article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article on
All material adapted used from Wikipedia is available under the terms of the
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
Wikipedia® itself is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Last Updated: Feb 1, 2011