Medica and Mayo Clinic Health System announced today a new relationship that will make care available at a lower cost and provide a seamless consumer experience. It is available in northwestern Wisconsin through Medica's market-leading private health exchange, My Plan by MedicaSM. Medica with Mayo Clinic Health System is available for group coverage with an effective coverage date of July 1, 2014 or later.
Under this model, the provider and the health plan work together to improve the quality of care, manage the total cost of care and optimize the consumer experience. Medica with Mayo Clinic Health System will provide employers significant savings over plans that feature a broader provider network.
The arrangement between Medica and Mayo Clinic Health System builds on the strengths of two organizations known for their focus on putting members and patients first. Medica is at the forefront of managing healthcare costs while creating products that ensure better patient outcomes. Medica, through My Plan by Medica, was the first health insurer in the nation to offer a private health exchange to employers. Mayo Clinic Health system, meanwhile, is renowned for its high quality of medical care.
"Medica is delighted to partner with Mayo Clinic Health System to bring this new kind of health plan to northwestern Wisconsin," said John Naylor, Medica senior vice president and general manager for commercial markets. "Medica with Mayo Clinic Health System provides affordable coverage for our members and gives them the peace of mind that comes from knowing they are connected to the world's leading medical experts through care right in their own communities."
Dr. Randall Linton, CEO for Mayo Clinic Health System's Northwest Wisconsin Region said: "This relationship provides Medica members a unique opportunity to access the quality care of Mayo Clinic Health System. Integrated care systems continue to grow in popularity and we think Medica with Mayo Clinic Health System will be a model of how well care providers and a health plan work together to put the needs of the patient first."
Medica with Mayo Clinic Health System features a unique approach to customer service with around-the-clock access to a dedicated Customer Service Team. By calling a single phone number, members can get answers to questions about benefits or get help receiving care.
Medica with Mayo Clinic Health System includes the following additional features:
- Direct access to specialists. Providers in the Mayo Clinic Health System network can be seen without a referral. While Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., isn't in the plan's network, Mayo Clinic Health System providers have direct access to their resources and expertise. If care at Mayo Clinic is necessary, Mayo Clinic Health System providers can facilitate the process.
- A team of providers. Personalized care is delivered from a team of providers based on each person's unique needs. Most teams include physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners and other types of providers.
- Coordinated care. After a hospital stay or emergency room visit, members receive personalized support in scheduling a follow-up appointment with their primary care providers.
- Help getting fit. Members receive a free annual fitness assessment by a certified athletic trainer. Custom training sessions for specific sports are available for an additional fee.
- Help losing weight. Enrollment in the Mayo Clinic Diet program is free. This ten-week program provides tools to lose excess weight and discover lifelong good eating habits.
Medica with Mayo Clinic Health System includes access to Mayo Clinic Health System clinics, urgent care locations and hospitals in the northwestern Wisconsin cities of Barron, Bloomer, Cameron, Chetek, Chippewa Falls, Colfax, Eau Claire, Elmwood, Glenwood City, Menomonie, Mondovi, Osseo, Prairie Farms and Rice Lake.