UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids is the first health care organization in Iowa to be selected to join the Mayo Clinic Care Network, a national network of like-minded organizations that share a commitment to better serving patients and their families.
The network, which began in 2011, now includes 28 member organizations across the country and internationally that are interested in working with Mayo Clinic to improve the delivery of health care by sharing knowledge and promoting collaboration between physicians.
As part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network, UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids now has access to Mayo Clinic's knowledge and expertise when its providers feel that additional resources will be helpful to patients, allowing many to avoid unnecessary travel for answers to complex medical questions.
"UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids has earned national recognition multiple times for high quality, low cost health care," says Ted Townsend, president and CEO of UnityPoint - Cedar Rapids. "We believe this collaboration with Mayo Clinic elevates health care standards for our region. It's about improving care and reducing costs. By working with the world-renowned experts at Mayo Clinic, we will enhance the quality of care and the quality of life in our community."
"We're so pleased to welcome UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids," says David Hayes, M.D., medical director, Mayo Clinic Care Network. "Collaborating with other medical providers has always been part of Mayo Clinic's culture. We value teamwork and shared knowledge. And we've learned that when physicians can work together to share what they know, their patients benefit. The Mayo Clinic Care Network promotes this kind of collaboration. And the result is more locally provided health care, and more patients who are able to stay close to home."
"We share a common vision and commitment to excellence in health care with Mayo Clinic," says Todd Langager, M.D., UnityPoint Clinic - Cardiology. "As part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network, UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids providers have the ability to reach out to Mayo experts as they consider the needs of their patients. And our collaboration is focused on keeping care, and patients, close to home."
Specialists at UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids can now consult Mayo Clinic knowledge and expertise using a variety of electronic tools and services and connect directly with Mayo Clinic experts on complex diagnosis and treatment plans. These tools and services include:
* eConsults that serve to connect physicians with Mayo Clinic specialists when they want additional input regarding a patient's care.
* AskMayoExpert, an online point-of-care medical resource for busy providers who can access the latest Mayo-vetted information on disease management, care guidelines, treatment recommendations and reference materials for a wide variety of medical conditions.
These tools, in addition to health care consulting related to clinical and business processes, will allow staff at UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids to continue to provide the best care for patients as well as support the organization's mission to improve the quality of health in the community.
The collaboration benefits patients in eastern Iowa in many ways, including:
*Patients receiving high-quality, affordable care at home, avoiding unnecessary travel for answers to complex medical questions.
* Providing collaborative, patient-centered health care.
* UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids providers continuing to use best-practice medicine, coupled with the latest expertise from Mayo Clinic.
* Promoting consulting between specialists at no additional cost to patients.
* Enhancing best-practice medicine at UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids with the latest expertise from Mayo Clinic.
* UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids and Mayo Clinic, two medical pioneers, working together to improve health care delivery and give patients peace of mind.