What is Myopathy?

In medicine, a myopathy is a muscular disease in which the muscle fibers do not function for any one of many reasons, resulting in muscular weakness. "Myopathy" simply means muscle disease.

This meaning implies that the primary defect is within the muscle, as opposed to the nerves ("neuropathies" or "neurogenic" disorders) or elsewhere (e.g., the brain etc.).

Muscle cramps, stiffness, and spasm can also be associated with myopathy.

Muscular disease can be classified as neuromuscular or musculoskeletal in nature.

Some conditions, such as myositis, can be considered both neuromuscular and musculoskeletal.

Because different types of myopathies are caused by many different pathways, there is no single treatment for myopathy. Treatments range from treatment of the symptoms to very specific cause-targeting treatments.

Drug therapy, physical therapy, bracing for support, surgery, and even acupuncture are current treatments for a variety of myopathies.

Further Reading

This article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article on "Myopathy" All material adapted used from Wikipedia is available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. Wikipedia® itself is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

Last Updated: Sep 15, 2014

Comments
  1. lalmani kaushik lalmani kaushik India says:

my father feels that he is ok when he is in sitting or in rest position but i dont know what happens to him when he try to walk ,when he try to get up from floor (when he is sitting on floor) at these moment he is not able to get  up from the floor as well as he is not able to walk even 100 steps. this type of walking problem he is facing from last 7 years he has gone through every treatment like acupressure physical exercise medical treatment and many more but all in vain, doctors also perform many test like MRI, Muscles Biospy, X-  ray of hip joint, Brain screening etc, but all in vain Because all reports were normal doctors have also done some blood test checked CPK in blood and many test but as usual reports are normal. Can i have any suggestion from any doctor hat what we should do, so that my father will overcome with this problem...........My email Id is   kaushik.anshu@rocketmail.com

• NageshKumar Silla NageshKumar Silla India says:

Hello,
      this is the same case for my mother as well
      she cant climb stairs, cant get up from floor sitting position and requires lot of support and lot of effort to overcome these actions
      off-course, walking would be easy for her but problem comes while climbing stairs, getting into bus,getting into train, getting up from sitting position
      her walking style also changed (in lingering manner). we have approached several doctors from past 5 to 6 years. but no use and diagnosis stated that she is being suffering from myopathy (after examining small piece of her muscle part from her left thigh), this will be done only at NIMANHs, Bangalore only (I dont know about rest of India)
      Doctors, said, there is no treatment apart from doing pysyhiotherypy for rest of her life and some chance of improvement
      we even joined in one of the nature cure institute located at bangalore-but no improvement despite undergoing for several theripies like acupunture, mud therepy and etc

our only hope is to consult auyervedic or some old traditional method that could be available at Kerala, I heard many of these kind were treated at kerala
      so, please help me if you have any information if you can get from your friends belongs to Kerala

thanks
      NKS
      my phone number :- +919986251531

2. Rainer L Rainer L Australia says:

I think it is pathetic that so many people have to resort to the internet in order to get adequate answer's because their Doctors are incapable doing so. I note Statins causing much of this problem. Doctors keep pushing it as well as the Cardiologists regardless if it affects anyone's quality of life or even cause severe damage else where. For that very reason I stopped the Statins. Been on all of them and had been unwell during all those years. Now my lower Limbs feel sort of numb as if a rubber band has been placed just around under my knees. Perhaps I can blame this as being the result of the Statins. In the U.S Talk Shows , Interviews of medical professors e.t.c who condemn the use of Statins. I figured I rather have a quality of life than feeling unwell every day of the week and to prevent other damage to my Body. Good luck!

3. lalmani kaushik lalmani kaushik India says:

Hello Nagesh, this is lalmani kaushik,
    I read your last post and found that, your mother have the same problem as my father have, My father has also been treated in the India's biggest hospital ie. AIIMS  Doctors of AIIMS Newdelhi  told us that MY father has a problem of Muscles Distrophy.......which was reported after  doing a test of the muscle piece of his thigh. I dont know Were the doctors right or not?
    With their reports, I am not satisfied.
    I think  they just said this only for closing our case because it was in a Govt hospital  .
    I request you Nagesh
    Fortunatey, if you will find a good and successful treatment for your mother then please let me inform my mobile number is 09582715587.

4. Jan N Stevie Michaels Jan N Stevie Michaels United States says:

A most impressive clinical observation of five vitamin D-deficient patients who suffered from myopathy, a disease of bone and muscle tissue proves that vitamin D helps relieve pain. Patients were confined to wheelchairs and experienced severe fatigue, weakness, and chronic pain. After receiving 50,000 IU per week of vitamin D, all regained enough strength and energy within four to six weeks to be mobile and functional, and their aches and pains disappeared.
    From

5. Rosy Georgia Rosy Georgia India says:

my dad is suffering from the same problem. myopathy is a vitamin D deficiency disease. if the patient is a vegetarian then try to increase dairy products like cheese, milk, ghee, butter, and others like mushroom, soya bean, corn flakes and other cereals. other options are fish, fish has the highest IU of vitamin D; sunlight is the best option for natural vitamin D. medicines available are vitamin D injections, cod liver oil capsules, etc.