Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Azle has been recognized by a national healthcare alliance for reducing harm, mortality and costs, while improving the patient experience.
“Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Azle is truly leading the way as they deliver care that is more efficient and effective”
They are the only hospital to receive the QUEST® Award for High-value Healthcare from Premier, a hospital-owned performance improvement alliance of 2,600 hospitals and 84,000-plus other care sites.
"Receiving this award is a tremendous honor for our entire team of employees, physicians, and governing board," said Bob Ellzey, FACHE, president of Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Azle. "It is validation of our daily commitment to provide our patients with the highest quality, safe and caring practices in a value-driven environment. At Texas Health, we say that we are 'Individuals Caring for Individuals, Together,' and we're proud to have earned this award together."
The QUEST Award was presented to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Azle on June 7 at Premier's annual Breakthroughs Conference and Exhibition in Nashville, Tenn. The hospital was honored for achieving top performance in all six of the following areas measured in Premier's national QUEST collaborative over the first three quarters of the 2011 calendar year by:
- Mortality: Eliminating 16 avoidable hospital deaths with a mortality rate of 1.14 percent.
- Cost of care: Safely lowering costs by an average of $440 less per patient.
- Evidence-based care: Improving the delivery of recommended evidence-based care measures by 5.09 percent to 97 percent. Evidence-based care measures include interventions such as administering aspirin upon arrival and discharge and smoking cessation for heart attack patients.
- Harm: Reducing harm by nearly 70 percent across 24 categories, including infections.
- Readmissions: Reducing readmissions by 10 percent.
- Patient experience: Increasing patient satisfaction scores by 2.2 percent.
"Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Azle is truly leading the way as they deliver care that is more efficient and effective," said Premier President and CEO Susan DeVore. "QUEST hospitals are charting the course to transforming healthcare's future by increasing quality and patient safety, all while eliminating unnecessary costs."
The hospital also received Premier's fifth annual Supply Chain Excellence Award for its superior purchasing strategies.
The following nine hospitals were also named finalists for achieving top performance in QUEST for any five of the six above areas: