Halloween parties can heighten danger for kids with food allergies

Published on October 10, 2013 at 4:35 AM · No Comments

The scary reality is that food allergies are becoming more and more common in the United States. In the past 10 years there has been an 18 percent increase in children with food allergies. In fact, 6-8 percent of children have at least one food allergy. That means, on average, two students per classroom have a food allergy. Halloween parties and trick-or-treating are just a few of the end-of-fall activities that can heighten the danger for kids with food allergies.

"Food allergies can be tricky," said Joyce Rabbat, MD, pediatric allergy specialist at Loyola University Health System and assistant professor of pediatrics and internal medicine at Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. "Just because a child had a mild reaction, such as a rash, the first time doesn't mean it can't be more serious the next time."

Reactions can cause symptoms that range from watery eyes and a rash to anaphylaxis, which is a rapidly progressive and severe allergic reaction that can involve airway swelling and low blood pressure. This can hinder breathing and cause a person to lose consciousness

"While nut allergies have the reputation for causing severe reactions, any food allergy could result in a severe reaction like anaphylaxis," said Rabbat. "Halloween candy often contains common allergens, such as peanuts, tree nuts, milk and egg."

Here are a few tips to help keep your child safe at Halloween parties:
1.Plan food-free Halloween activities, like costume contests and games.
2.Communicate with the party host about your child's allergy and provide a list of specific foods that may cause a reaction.
3.Make sure all pans, dishes and serving utensils have been thoroughly cleaned if previously used with the allergen.
4.When shopping, check product labels. If it says the food has been made on the same machine as with the allergen, stay away. If it is processed in the same plant as products with the allergen it's probably OK.
5.Wipe down all surfaces after preparing or eating allergenic foods.

Read in | English | Español | Français | Deutsch | Português | Italiano | 日本語 | 한국어 | 简体中文 | 繁體中文 | Nederlands | Русский | Svenska | Polski
Comments
The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of News-Medical.Net.
Post a new comment
Post