Mixer-settlers, both as stand-alone and as in-column type, are offered for special applications. As implied by the name, the mixer-settler-column is a series of mixer-settlers in the form of a column. It consists of a number of stages installed one on top of the other, each hydraulically separated, and each with a mixing and settling zone (see below). This design enables the elimination of some of the main disadvantages of conventional mixer-settlers, whilst maintaining stage-wise phase contact.
The mechanical design of the mixer-settler-column is comparable to the agitated ECR Kühni column.
- For long residence times: >15 min Extraction controlled by residence time
- Reactive extraction systems
- Long phase separation
- For extraction controlled by pH (stage-wise pH adjustment)
- For batch extraction
- Stage-wise phase contact
- Additionally for ECMS mixer-settler-columns:
- Small footprint
- Column-like design
- Extreme to unlimited phase ratio