The Nova Primary blood glucose reference analyzer meets the requirements of glucose device manufacturers and clinical researchers for an accurate, user-friendly replacement for the discontinued YSI STAT PLUS 2300. The Nova Primary glucose reference analyzer has cutting-edge features such as:
- Accurate Nova glucose sensor technology
- Automatic hematocrit measurement and correction for plasma equivalent glucose results
- 25 µL whole blood sample
- Comprehensive data storage and connectivity
- Simple, color touchscreen operation
Whole blood glucose reference analyzer
Nova Primary is an accurate, simple-to-operate laboratory blood glucose reference analyzer that uses a 25 µl sample of whole blood or plasma.
A whole blood reference and correlation analyzer is required by manufacturers of blood glucose measuring devices and clinical diabetes researchers to replace the YSI STAT PLUS 2300 Glucose and L-Lactate Analyzer (YSI, Inc., Yellow Springs, OH). With fast, accurate glucose oxidase measurement technology, low maintenance, and a simple, three-step touchscreen operation, the Nova Primary analyzer meets that need.
Accurate biosensor technology
To assess glucose in whole blood and plasma, Nova Primary employs a glucose oxidase electrochemistry sensor. This technology has been used in Nova’s Stat Profile critical care analyzers for over 20 years. It is precise, dependable, and time-tested. The biosensor’s glucose oxidase membrane cap rapidly oxidizes the glucose in the sample, releasing hydrogen peroxide.
At the electrode base (platinum anode), the hydrogen peroxide is oxidized, resulting in a current that is directly proportional to the glucose concentration in the sample. Snap-in glucose oxidase membrane caps may be replaced in seconds and have a 3-week use life. The electrode base can be used for up to a year.
Nova Primary glucose biosensor. Image Credit: Nova Biomedical
Excellent correlation to the YSI 2300
The Nova Primary has an excellent correlation with the YSI 2300 for whole blood and plasma samples throughout a wide measurement range of 20–900 mg/dL. Calibrators and controls are traceable to NIST Standard SRM-917, ensuring excellent lot-to-lot consistency and glucose testing accuracy.
Glucose (mg/dL)—Whole Blood Sample Nova Primary vs YSI Average Results. Image Credit: Nova Biomedical
Glucose (mg/dL)—Plasma Nova Primary vs YSI Average Results. Image Credit: Nova Biomedical
Image Credit: Nova Biomedical
The Nova Primary has a big (10.1″) advanced color touchscreen interface. It requires little training to operate and all functions are straightforward. A complete blood glucose test, for instance, needs only three steps, whereas the YSI 2300 requires eight.
Nova Primary sample analysis. Image Credit: Nova Biomedical
YSI 2300 sample analysis. Image Credit: Nova Biomedical
Comprehensive data storage and export
Nova Primary includes on-board storage for thousands of test results and QC samples. Test data is exported using comma delimited (csv) format via the USB port for quick data capture, review, analysis, and sorting.
Image Credit: Nova Biomedical
Automates the analysis of plasma equivalent whole blood glucose
Nova Primary calculates an accurate plasma equivalent whole blood glucose by measuring the hematocrit levels of whole blood samples. This removes the necessity for a separate hematocrit assay and manual hematocrit value entering for each glucose sample.
Single calibrator cartridge simplifies reagent maintenance
Nova replaces separate calibrator, buffer, and waste bottles with a single plug-in reagent cartridge. The Primary cartridge includes ready-to-use calibrators and buffers, as well as a waste receptacle for effortless maintenance. It takes less than 2 minutes to replace a cartridge.
Other cartridge benefits include:
- Multiple cartridge sizes support variable sample workloads
- RFID technology indicates the cartridge expiration date and the number of samples remaining
- Eliminates maintenance to the waste receptacle, a potential biohazard
- Removes daily checking of individual calibration, buffer, and waste bottle levels, and separate replacement schedules
- Removes weekly or daily manual preparation of buffer solutions
Nova Primary plug-in calibrator cartridge. Image Credit: Nova Biomedical
Eliminates peristaltic pump maintenance
To accomplish sample and calibrator dilutions and mixing, the YSI 2300 employed two peristaltic pumps and a magnetic mixer. Peristaltic pump tubing deteriorates and gets loose at the fittings with time, decreasing dilution precision and necessitating replacement. To accomplish sample dilutions and mixing, Nova Primary employs a highly precise, maintenance-free syringe pump.
Syringe pump benefits include:
- Eliminates the requirement for periodic replacement of sample and calibrator peristaltic pump tubing
- Eliminates monthly cleaning of the calibrant pumping system
- Offers consistently precise sample dilution and mixing
Nova Primary has numerous measures to protect the system from external cybersecurity threats. The main operating system is a light version of Windows® integrated with the Windows Defender anti-virus firewall.
Nova Primary specifications
- Glucose measurement range: 20–900 mg/dL
- Acceptable samples: Whole blood (heparinized) and plasma/serum
- Sample volume: 25 µL
- Glucose measurement time:
- Single analysis: 1.5 minutes
- Throughput: 35 samples per hour
- Operating temperature range: 15 °C–32 °C (59 °F–89.6 °F)
- Electrical power requirement: 180 Watts
- Printer: On-board Thermal Printer
- Universal: EN ISO 13485:2016
- EU: EN 61010-1:2010/AMD1:2019; EN 61010-2-101:2017; EN 61326-2-6:2013; EN 55011:2016
- US: IEC 61010-1:2010/AMD1:2016; IEC 61010-2-101:2018; IEC 60601-1-2:2014
- Calibration: Completely automated two-point calibration with user-selectable single-point calibration or calibration for each sample. Calibration can be started manually at any time
- Communication protocols: ASTM, HL7, or POCT1-A2 connectivity formats
- Physical specifications: 26.5 lb (12.0 kg) without reagent pack; 31.9 lb (14.5 kg) with full reagent pack, power supply, and wireless keyboard. The analyzer can be operated benchtop or on a mobile cart with battery backup.
Compact Size. Image Credit: Nova Biomedical
Optional Mobile Cart with Power Supply. Image Credit: Nova Biomedical