Sutter Instrument is proud to introduce the latest tool for electrophysiology research, the dPatch® Digital Patch Clamp Amplifier. Using high-speed digital processing, matched with high-resolution data converters and paired with SutterPatch® software’s intuitive user interface, this low noise, high bandwidth device provides capabilities previously unavailable to electrophysiologists.
Available in either a single- or dual-headstage configuration, the dPatch amplifier’s architecture makes swapping headstages, or adding a second one to a single-headstage version, a plug-and-play operation. The two headstages are independently configurable for either voltage clamp or true high-speed current clamp. Data is streamed from each headstage in parallel and fully synchronized.
5 MHz Sampling Rate, up to 22-Bit Resolution
One unique feature with dPatch is the headstage data sampling system. Each headstage is continually sampled at 5 MHz. Output filtering has thirteen settings between 1 MHz and 100 Hz. A resolution of 18 bits is achieved at 1 MHz. For lower filter settings, automatic downsampling increases resolution while optimizing data rates. At a bandwidth setting of 1 kHz the dPatch system provides a signal resolution of better than 22 bits.
Built-In Data Acquisition System Means No Third-Party Digitizer
Using a multiplexer-free design, the dPatch provides 8 fully differential analog input channels, 4 analog output channels, and 16 digital outputs (TTL). All I/O channels are sampled continuously (200 kHz for analog inputs, 250 kHz for analog and digital outputs) and available through the user interface.
The dPatch amplifier, in combination with SutterPatch software, has been engineered to automatically capture and store all amplifier settings, stimulus information and external experiment parameters, and associate them in time with the raw data traces. This includes all amplifier and acquisition settings, as well as timing and progress of the experiment. Fully integrated computer control of the amplifier stages means that the acquisition software is aware of the internal state of the amplifier and digitizer at all times and can track any changes that may occur. This is independent of whether a change is triggered automatically or initiated by the user.
Tracking of Other External Data
In addition to status changes in connected hardware that are automatically tracked, the researcher can manually trigger tags to document events like stimulus application using instruments not connected to the amplifier.
Information about environmental parameters and a more detailed specification of sample properties can be recorded and stored with the raw data. A total of over 500 metadata attributes are supported. Examples include: animal species, strain, date/time when a cell sample was prepared, recording solutions, pipette resistance, hardware properties, and detailed information about stimuli applied.
Data Visualization and Analysis
SutterPatch software has been designed to simplify the navigation and analysis of complex datasets. The scope window supports multiple view modes in both two-dimensional and an innovative three-dimensional display. The 3D view is particularly useful during assay development. Built on top of the latest version of the proven Igor Pro platform, SutterPatch combines native Igor Pro functionality with a wealth of features that are tailored to electrophysiology applications. Both the newcomer and the experienced user of patch clamp programs will feel comfortable using SutterPatch software.
Application modules provide focused functionality for particular applications.
- Event Detection Module: A deconvolution algorithm that excels at detecting miniature synaptic events even on a noisy background.
- Action Potential Analysis Module: Phase plane plot, timing and waveform statistics.
- Camera Module: An easy way to document the identity and condition of the recorded cell.
A Laboratory Workhorse
While dPatch is ready for cutting-edge research, its feature set makes it immediately valuable in any lab setting.
- Three headstage feedback ranges for optimal whole-cell and single-channel recording
- Automated compensation of electrode and whole-cell capacitance
- Series resistance compensation
- Simple cabling, quick and easy set-up
- High dynamic range of digitizer means no need for variable gain stages
- High speed of digitizer means no concern about sample rate
- Single-channel recordings
- Auditory research and other rapidly changing signals
- Tissue slice recordings
- Cultured cell experiments
- Cell line studies from adherent or dispersed cells
- Fully integrated single- or dual-headstage patch clamp amplifier and data acquisition system ensures quick and easy setup
- Optimized for whole-cell patch clamp recordings in tissue slices, adherent or dissociated cells
- Full computer control provides automated compensation of electrode and whole cell capacitance
- Voltage and true current clamp capability for complete characterization of cells' electrical activity
- Line frequency reduction in SutterPatch
- High bandwidth enables characterization of the fastest signals
- Three Headstage feedback ranges for single-channel and whole-cell patch clamp recordings
- Comprehensive digital compensation circuitry provides utmost precision and signal fidelity
- Bundled SutterPatch software provides versatile data management, intuitive navigation and streamlined data analysis.
The Ground Point GP-17 provides reliable, low resistance connections for star ground connections, the proven method to avoid ground loops in any electrophysiology setup. Accepts 9 banana plugs + 8 bare wires up to 10 gauge or banana plugs. The baseplate mounts directly on standard or metric air table tops with the included ¼-20 and M6 screws. Made of solid, machined brass with plated banana/clamp connectors.
Image credit: Sutter Instrument