dragonfly® discovery from SPT Labtech allows ground-breaking and low-volume liquid dispensing that is consistent with an extensive range of applications, such as biochemical assays, molecular biology and genomics, as well as bead- and cell-based assays.
The innovative dispense technology provides various significant technical benefits:
- Excellent low-volume dispense performance
- Naturally trustworthy
- Ideal for all liquid classes
- No threat of blocked ducts or nozzles
- Wide dynamic dispense range varies from a single syringe type and economical syringe usage
- Developed in collaboration with first-in-class researchers, dragonfly discovery provides remarkable performance and an optimal user experience to streamline adoption into novel application areas.
Image Credit: SPT Labtech
Just walk up and use
Setting up an experiment could not be more straightforward with these three simple steps with no calibration or daily maintenance needs. Users can choose a protocol or set up a new experiment in the innate software package—fit positive displacement syringes and layout reagents, and click run to dispense into the plate of choice.
Greatly improve assay robustness
From aqueous buffers, PCR and DMSO Mastermixes through to cells and uniform viscous basal membrane extracts: dragonfly discovery allows exact and repeatable dispensing beginning from just 200 nL, for robust assays and excellent quality data.
Maximize precious reagents
Make reagents move ahead with assay miniaturization. Whether working with 384- or 1,536-well plate formats, assay miniaturization is perfect for cutting reagent charges, increasing throughput, and normalizing workflows. Having been integrated with completely recoverable, ultra-low dead volumes, this method guarantees that users derive maximal value from their earlier reagents.
Quick plate fill times, programmable staggered reagent additions, and the least maintenance needs enable researchers to spend their time on high-value scientific tasks, such as scheduling and examining experiments.
dragonfly discovery relies on a modular design that adapts to users’ workflow. They can also select from 3, 6, or 10 independent positive displacement dispense heads to suit users’ application and throughput needs.
Users can set them up as an independent benchtop unit or combine them into users’ work cell of choice. The availability of an auto-feed reservoir reagent module raises reagent capacity for high-volume bulk-filling tasks and allows extended walk-away time.
Suitable for low or high throughput assays
Consistent with any SBS plate format across 96-, 384- and 1,536-well plates. Highly controlled dispensing into 96- or 384-well PCR plates is available for sensitive genomics applications and quick bulk dispensing into racked tubes or deep well blocks.
Revolutionizing liquid handling
dragonfly discovery allows precise and repeatable nanoliter to milliliter dispensing, regardless of environmental conditions or liquid viscosity.
Customized to suit users’ application and throughput
- Comes with 3,6, or 10 separate dispense heads
- Availability of assay development software
- Synchronize dispense heads to raise throughput, or select separate head control for reagent flexibility
- Automation package is provided
- Autofeed reservoir module available
- Steadfast genomics accessories that are entirely consistent with the mosquito liquid handlers
Positive displacement dispensing
The true positive displacement syringes have been regulated by separate dispense heads within the instrument.
- Dispense range varies from 200 nL to 4 mL
- Liquid class agnostic, with no calibration needs
- Non-contact dispensing available for the least syringe consumption
- No cleaning or maintenance need
- Zero chance of clogging or blocking
Built for pure performance
- Unrivaled precision: <5% CV at 1 µL
- Outstanding accuracy: <5% error at 1 µL (Artel multichannel verification system)
- Least head-to-head variation: <5% CV throughout all dispense heads
The dragonfly software is as concentrated on usability as it is on functionality:
- Adaptable sequencing of liquid additions
- Highly visual and user-friendly UI
- Saving and loading of complete experiment setup data for complete reproducibility
- Automation of time point experiments, thereby enabling for utmost walk-away time
The dragonfly designer software is known as a complimentary software package that has been specifically developed to fulfill the requirements of assay development scientists:
- The intuitive definition of several concentration gradients, both high dynamic range n-fold and linear available
- Assessment of all well dispense volumes, as well as complete reagent needs
- Definition of technical replicates and controls
- Open source .CSV file output that loads instantly into the dragonfly software package
Versatile workflow integration
The dragonfly software consists of a completely documented API for 3rd party integration available with an extensive range of other laboratory instrumentation, such as robotic plate handlers, stackers, and bulk liquid handlers, to obtain walk-away operation in several application areas.
Source: SPT Labtech Limited
||3, 6 or 10 dispense heads
||Dispense volume range
||200 nL – 4 mL
|Bulk dispense speed starting from
||30 seconds per 96 or 384 well plate
90 seconds per 1,536 well plate
||30 or 200 µL recoverable dead volume, depending on the reservoir type
|Primary SBS plate formats
||96, 384 and 1,536 well microplates. Deep well blocks or racked tubes up to 45 mm in height.
||Autofeed reservoir module, fully documented API
||PCR plate adapter, chilled reservoir blocks, incubation stage lid
||Dimensions (W x D x H)
||600 mm x 433 mm x 635.5 mm
23.6 in x 17 in x 25 in
||46 kg/ 101.4 lbs
Dynamic duo for genomics miniaturization
mosquito® & dragonfly® for genomics miniaturization
Volume miniaturization available with automated liquid handlers resolves throughput and charge challenges. This allows genomics scientists to process a more significant number of samples and make savings on reagent use.
The “dynamic duo”—the combination of mosquito’s exact positive displacement pipetting with dragonfly’s non-contact, nanoliter-to-milliliter dispensing—provides proven workflow solutions with an increasing list of more than 40 NGS techniques that has been miniaturized.
Image Credit: SPT Labtech