Optimized for cryo-EM and cryo-ET applications, the BioContinuum® represents a significant advancement in imaging technology, enabling in-depth exploration of molecular-level system functions and disease progression.
BioContinuum is a post-column imaging filter that enhances the contrast of transmission electron microscope (TEM) images and provides the utmost imaging power in life science applications.
The BioContinuum integrates advanced GIF electron optics with the revolutionary direct detection technology of the K3® camera. Specifically designed for cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) and cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET), this powerful fusion of energy filter and camera enables in-depth exploration of the atomic structure of biological macromolecules and molecular-level understanding of disease progression.
Offering an exceptionally user-friendly and adaptable solution, the BioContinuum imaging filter can be managed through the robust Gatan Microscopy Suite® software suite, which encompasses DigitalMicrograph®, Latitude® S, Latitude T, and Latitude D.
Seamless integration is also possible with Thermo Scientific EPU software, Thermo Scientific Tomography software, Serial EM, and Leginion.
The BioContinuum imaging filter comes in two different models:
Source: Gatan, Inc.
|Real-time motion correction
|Integrated centered beam stop
|Integrated BF/DF detector for STEM imaging
The BioContinuum HD imaging filter is compatible with the majority of the TEMs from Thermo Fisher, JEOL, and Hitachi.
Stable, aberration-corrected optics
- Most stable optics in the market: Extremely stable ZLP positioning offers consistent data quality with no imaging downtime.
- Lowest image and energy distortion: Cutting-edge optics reduce image distortion and provide uniform imaging over the entire field of view.
Advanced electron optics and system electronics result in a highly stable ZLP allowing for extended data collection sessions. Image Credit: Gatan, Inc.
High-quality, high-throughput direct detection imaging
- Highest DQE and widest operating voltage range: Obtain data at the highest resolutions ranging from 80 to 300 kV.
- High-speed data collection: Gather >600 movies per hour regularly.
- Large field of view: Perfect for cryo-ET to gather the highest resolution images inside the bigger biological context.
Easy to use
- Powered by the DigitalMicrograph, Latitude, and AutoFilter® platforms, this system is effortless to operate without compromising any of the power or flexibility essential for modern experiments.
- One-button tuning and alignment on all detectors: Smart algorithms expedite and simplify optics alignment for all users.
Versatile upgrade path
Future-proofing investments: Users can easily upgrade their present equipment from a BioQuantum® K2® all the way to the BioContinuum HD with EELS and EFTEM acquisition.
The Efficient Frontier of Resolution: Comparison between the resolution and molecule size for published single-particle cryo-EM structures. Image Credit: Gatan, Inc.
Why is frame rate important for motion correction in cryo-EM?
Dose Fractionation: Frame rate helps with better motion correction when imaging in cryo-electron microscopy. This video showcases the difference between a high frame rate and an exceptionally fast frame rate. The resulting image is clearer and more defined. Video Credit: Gatan, Inc.
Direct Electron Counting
Electron counting: Explains the principle behind electron counting and how it enables the K3 camera to deliver the highest-resolution results for single particle cryo-electron microscopy. Video Credit: Gatan, Inc.