Sulfite Allergy

Sulfites are chemical preservatives used in a range of foods including beverages such as wine and beer. They are added to processed foods to increase their shelf-life and even to some medications to keep them stable. Sulfites can trigger allergic reactions in some people, mainly those having asthma. Sulfite-sensitive people often experience allergic reactions similar to those with food allergies.

Image Credit: Miriam Doerr Martin Frommherz / Shutterstock
Image Credit: Miriam Doerr Martin Frommherz / Shutterstock

Symptoms of sulfite allergy

Symptoms of sulfite allergy can be mild to moderate and very rarely severe. Major symptoms of sulfite-sensitivity include the following:

  • Digestive symptoms - diarrhea, stomach cramps, vomiting, and nausea
  • Skin symptoms - red and itchy skin, rashes, and hives
  • Respiratory symptoms - wheezing, difficulty breathing, cough, chest tightness
  • Anxiety, paleness, and weakness
  • Anaphylactic shock - very rarely, a severe and fatal allergic reaction can cause low BP and extreme difficulty to breath, which might lead to loss of consciousness.

Foods and medications containing sulfites

Sulfites are present in foods such as Parmesan cheese, mushrooms, and some fermented foods. Preserved food and drinks such as wine, cider, beer, sausages, soft drinks, burgers, and dried fruits are usually high in sulfites. Sulfite might be hidden in salad dressings in the form of vinegar or bottled lemon juice, in pizzas that use processed tomato sauce, and in olives, sausages, and sauces.

Fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh meat and fish, fresh dairy and freshly prepared sauces and dressings are generally considered free of sulfites.

Sulfites are also added to many drugs - both over-the-counter and prescription drugs. It may be present in drugs prescribed for vomiting and nausea, antibiotics, psychotropic drugs, cardiovascular drugs, IV medications, medications for respiratory problems, pain relievers, steroids, and anesthetics.

Sulfite in air

Apart from foods and drugs, polluted air can be a source of sulfite too. Levels of sulfur dioxide can be very high in the air in the vicinity of oil and coal-burning plants and in polluted air on foggy days. Exposure to sulfur dioxide in the air can lead to bronchoconstriction even in normal individuals. In asthmatic individuals, even very brief exposure to sulfur dioxide can cause severe bronchoconstriction.

Diagnosis and treatment of sulfite allergy

Sulfite hypersensitivity is usually diagnosed using food exclusion and reintroduction. This method involves the removal of sulfite-containing foods for a period of time. These foods are gradually re-introduced to see the reaction they might trigger.

Sulfite sensitivity is also diagnosed using a food challenge. This involves ingesting a very small amount of sulfite while the subject is under observation and close supervision by an allergist. In case there is no reaction, the amount of sulfite is slowly increased till a safe exposure level is reached. In case of any reaction, medication is given to reverse the symptoms.

A skin prick test is also used to diagnose sensitivity to sulfites. Here the allergen is placed on the skin surface and a prick is made in that area. If there is any skin reaction such as bumps, that can be indicative of sulfite sensitivity.

The only solution for a sulfite allergy is avoiding the specific allergen, sulfite. Sulfite-sensitive people should avoid foods with high levels of sulfite such as dry fruits, beer, wine, and processed foods. In order to avoid sulfite-containing foods, carefully reading product labels is very important. Ingredients to look for on food labels are potassium bisulfite, sulfur dioxide, sodium bisulfite, potassium metabisulfite, sodium metabisulfite, and sodium sulfite. People having asthma should be extremely careful with foods containing sulfite.

Anaphylactic reactions as a result of sulfite ingestion will need immediate emergency treatment including an epinephrine injection, followed by other procedures and observation at the hospital. People with high levels of sulfite sensitivity must carry epinephrine with them all the time.


Further Reading

Last Updated: Feb 24, 2023

Susha Cheriyedath

Written by

Susha Cheriyedath

Susha has a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in Chemistry and Master of Science (M.Sc) degree in Biochemistry from the University of Calicut, India. She always had a keen interest in medical and health science. As part of her masters degree, she specialized in Biochemistry, with an emphasis on Microbiology, Physiology, Biotechnology, and Nutrition. In her spare time, she loves to cook up a storm in the kitchen with her super-messy baking experiments.


Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:

  • APA

    Cheriyedath, Susha. (2023, February 24). Sulfite Allergy. News-Medical. Retrieved on December 10, 2023 from

  • MLA

    Cheriyedath, Susha. "Sulfite Allergy". News-Medical. 10 December 2023. <>.

  • Chicago

    Cheriyedath, Susha. "Sulfite Allergy". News-Medical. (accessed December 10, 2023).

  • Harvard

    Cheriyedath, Susha. 2023. Sulfite Allergy. News-Medical, viewed 10 December 2023,


  1. Tiiu Ounila Tiiu Ounila Italy says:

    No added sulfites or naturally occurring sulfites in Parmesan cheese.
    Real parmesan cheese is not made with yeast fermentation.
    It uses bacterial fermentation and is high in histamines.

  2. Xavi Latorre Xavi Latorre Spain says:

    Hi Susha,
    Just a quick question, please.

    Is it alergic a stew cooked in red wine (with sulfites, obiously) for some one alergic to sulfites, even if is cooked for many hours ?


The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of News Medical.
Post a new comment
You might also like...
Research uncovers stealthy strategy of SARS-CoV-2 infection