Wolters Kluwer Health, a leading global provider of information solutions for the healthcare provider and education markets, today announced that its Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW) textbooks and digital guides were honored with 12 prizes at the 2014 BMA Medical Book Awards. The company's products took first place in five of 21 categories including Digital and Online Resources, Internal Medicine, Pathology, Surgery, and Surgery Specialties, and received seven "Highly Commended" awards. Sponsored by the British Medical Association (BMA), the annual Medical Book Awards are recognized as among the most prestigious and influential in medical publishing.
"It's an honor to receive a BMA Medical Book Award, but to receive 12 is a tremendous achievement for Wolters Kluwer Health and we are grateful for the recognition," said Susan Driscoll, President & CEO, Wolters Kluwer Health, Professional & Education. "It is an opportunity for us to celebrate the authors, editors, designers and production associates who work tirelessly to deliver books and solutions that exceed customer expectations."
Among the five first-place category winners were:
- Digital and Online Resources: Bates' Visual Guide to Physical Examination (Bickley)
- Internal Medicine: Wintrobe's Clinical Hematology, 13e (Greer)
- Pathology: Knowles Neoplastic Hematopathology (Orazi)
- Surgery: Grabb and Smith's Plastic Surgery, 7e (Thorne)
- Surgical Specialties: Bailey's Head and Neck Surgery: Otolaryngology, 5e (Johnson)
Seven LWW titles received "Highly Commended" designations, including:
- Neurology: Practical Neurology Visual Review, 2e (Biller)
- Oncology: Perez & Brady's Principles and Practice of Radiation Oncology, 6e (Halperin)
- Pathology: Atlas of Interstitial Lung Disease Pathology: Pathology with High Resolution CT Correlations (Churg)
- Pathology: Diagnostic Pathology: Familial Cancer Syndromes (Nose)
- Surgery: Disorders of the Shoulder: Diagnosis and Management Package, 3e (Iannotti)
- Surgery: Lovell and Winter's Pediatric Orthopaedics, 7e (Weinstein)
- Surgical Specialties: Mastery of Cardiothoracic Surgery, 3e (Kaiser)
LWW medical titles are used by students, faculty, and practitioners at leading academic and healthcare institutions, and hospitals worldwide. The content is available via multiple formats, including print and online solutions such as the Ovid medical research platform.
The annual BMA Medical Book Awards recognize outstanding contributions to medical literature. According to the BMA website, books are judged for their applicability to audience, production quality and originality.