Today Burger King Corp. (NYSE:BKC) announced it will offer a breakfast meal for children that meets BKC's stringent nutrition criteria for advertised Kids Meals, as defined in its pledge through the Council of Better Business Bureau's (CBBB) Children's Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative (CFBAI). Featuring a new BK® Kids Breakfast Muffin Sandwich served with BK® Fresh Apple Fries, and calcium-fortified MINUTE MAID® apple juice, the combination will be available in participating BURGER KING® restaurants nationwide beginning July 26 for a suggested retail price of $3.38.
“This new addition to our nutritionally-balanced Kids Meals now provides families even more choices at breakfast, lunch and dinner.”
"Offering a kids meal for breakfast that meets our strict nutrition criteria empowers our guests to make menu choices that work best for their dietary needs and lifestyles," said John Schaufelberger, senior vice president, global product marketing and innovation, Burger King Corp. "This new addition to our nutritionally-balanced Kids Meals now provides families even more choices at breakfast, lunch and dinner."
The new BK® Kids Breakfast Muffin Sandwich features egg and a slice of American cheese, served on an English muffin. When served with BK® Fresh Apple Fries and apple juice, the complete meal provides a nutritionally-balanced meal with an all-natural, high-quality source of protein from the egg, ½ cup serving of fresh fruit, and is an "excellent source" of calcium and a "good source" of potassium.
The BK® Kids Breakfast Muffin Sandwich Meal joins three existing BK® Kids Meal options that meet its stringent nutrition criteria, which is defined as:
- No more than 560 calories per meal;
- Less than 30 percent of calories from fat;
- Less than 10 percent of calories from saturated fat;
- No added trans fats;
- No more than 10 percent of calories from added sugars;
- No more than 600 milligrams of sodium; and
- A "good source" or "excellent source" of at least two of the following nutrients: calcium, fiber, potassium, magnesium, vitamin E.
Other Pledge-Compliant BK® Kids Meal Options Available Nationwide
- A hamburger served with BK® Fresh Apple Fries, low-fat caramel dipping sauce and calcium-fortified MINUTE MAID® apple juice.
- Four-piece CHICKEN TENDERS® served with BK® Fresh Apple Fries, low-fat caramel dipping sauce and HERSHEY'S® fat free milk.
- KRAFT® Macaroni & Cheese, BK® Fresh Apple Fries, low-fat caramel dipping sauce, and HERSHEY'S® fat free milk.
As part of its BK Positive Steps® corporate responsibility program, BKC joined the Council for Better Business Bureau's (CBBB) Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative (CFBAI) in 2007, pledging to restrict 100 percent of national advertising aimed at children under 12 to BK® Kids Meals that meet stringent nutrition criteria.
BKC also provides BK Positive Steps® nutrition materials in restaurants nationwide, has transitioned to zero grams of artificial trans fat in all ingredients and cooking oils in the U.S., and has partnered with USDA to promote MyPyramid information to both kids and adults. The launch of the new BK® Kids Breakfast Muffin Sandwich Meal marks another step in Burger King Corp.'s renewed focus on the breakfast daypart. The Corporation plans to announce additional news about the breakfast menu in the coming months.