Tyson Foods Inc., a New Holland, Pa. establishment, has recalled more than 2.4 million pounds of their products containing ready-to-eat breaded chicken. The recall was announced by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service announced the recall on Friday, 9th of June. The Agency says that the label does not indicate the presence of milk which is a known allergen.
This recall happened after a notice issued to the company on 6th of June from a supplier of ingredients that the bread crumbs that were used in the products contained undeclared milk in them. These are undeclared allergens and there has been mislabeling of the products. No cases of allergies or any product related mishaps have occurred yet.
The products that have been removed from the shelves have a number “P-1325” inside the USDA mark of inspection on them. Tyson records have shown that the products have been moved in bulk and several schools have purchased these products through the commercial channels. All of the products were sold in Massachusetts, according to the USDA.
The buyers have been advised to throw away the products or return them to the stores. The dates of package of these products are between 17th August 2016 and 14th January 2017.
The recalled products are;
- 31.86-lb. bulk cases of Tyson FULLY COOKED, WHOLE GRAIN STRIP-SHAPED CHICKEN PATTIE FRITTERS-CN case code 003859-0928 and production dates of 09/09/2016, 10/05/2016, 10/14/2016, 10/15/2016, 11/09/2016, 12/10/2016, 12/30/2016 and 01/14/2017.
- Tyson FULLY COOKED, WHOLE GRAIN CHICKEN PATTIE FRITTERS-CN case code 003857-0928 and production dates of 11/12/2016.
- Tyson FULLY COOKED, WHOLE GRAIN BREADED CHICKEN PATTIES-CN case code 016477-0928 and production dates of 09/10/2016, 09/16/2016, 09/23/2016, 09/30/2016 and 10/06/2016.
- Tyson FULLY COOKED, WHOLE GRAIN CHUNK-SHAPED BREADED CHICKEN PATTIES-CN case code 016478-0928 and production dates of 09/16/2016, 09/28/2016 and 10/06/2016
- Tyson FULLY COOKED, BREADED CHICKEN PATTIES-CN case code 005778-0928 and production dates of 09/14/2016, 09/19/2016 and 10/03/2016
- Tyson FULLY COOKED, WHOLE GRAIN GOLDEN CRISPY CHICKEN CHUNK FRITTERS-CN CHUNK-SHAPED CHICKEN PATTIE FRITTERS case code 070364-0928, packaging and production date of 08/17/2016
- SPARE TIME, Fully Cooked Breaded Chicken Patties case code 005778-0861 and production date of 10/03/2016
- SPARE TIME, Fully Cooked Chicken Pattie Fritters case code 016477-0861 and production date of 09/16/2016 and 10/06/2016
According to health officials milk allergies may range from mild stomach upsets to a skin rash. But some individuals may develop life threatening complications and allergies to even small amounts of milk. It can lead to wheezing, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, hives etc. In a few it may lead to anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock which is a life threatening emergency that can cause death if not corrected immediately.
According to USDA there are three classes of recall of food products. Class I is when there is a “health hazard situation” and there is a “reasonable probability” that the product will lead to “serious, adverse health consequences or death”. Class II recall includes recall of products there the probability of “adverse health consequences” is remote. Class III situation is one where the use of the product will not lead to “adverse health consequences”.