Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: AMLN) today announced that new data from its obesity program will be presented at Obesity 2009, the 27th Annual Scientific Meeting of The Obesity Society, to be held in Washington, D.C. October 24-28. Phase 2 data from the pramlintide/metreleptin combination treatment clinical program will be the subject of a late-breaking oral presentation. Obesity 2009 is one of the largest scientific conferences in the field of obesity.
Amylin will also present new scientific findings from preclinical studies related to its clinical-stage obesity programs for pramlintide/metreleptin and davalintide, an optimized amylin analog. These findings include new insights into the synergistic weight loss observed with various dual-hormone combination regimens. Additionally, Amylin will present at the meeting's pre-conference session focused on obesity pharmacotherapy.
"The discovery of leptin and its role, along with other endocrine signals, in regulating body weight through a neurohormonal feedback system marked the beginning of a new era of obesity research," said Christian Weyer, M.D., vice president, Medical Development at Amylin Pharmaceuticals. "Amylin's unique approach to obesity drug development aims to translate this evolving science into innovative new treatment options and builds on over 20 years of experience in peptide-protein therapeutics."
Key Amylin Activities at Obesity 2009:
Saturday, October 24
- Pharmacotherapy Update invited presentation: Christian Weyer, M.D., vice president, Medical Development will present at this pre-conference session scheduled from 1:00 - 3:45 p.m. ET.
Sunday, October 25
- Poster 190-P: "Central Mechanisms Underlying Amylin/Leptin Synergy in Rodent Models" will be presented by Victoria Turek, Ph.D. at 1:00 p.m. and at 6:30 p.m. ET.
- Poster 192-P: "Enhanced Sensitivity to Amylin-Mediated Weight Loss in Estrogen-Deficient Female Rats" will be presented by James Trevaskis, Ph.D. at 1:00 p.m. and at 6:30 p.m. ET.
- Poster 193-P: "Impact of Sustained Amylin and/or Leptin Infusion on Energy Homeostasis, and Liver and Muscle Metabolism in Diet-Induced Obese Female Rats" will be presented by James Trevaskis, Ph.D. at 1:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. ET.
Tuesday, October 27
- Oral Late-Breaking Clinical Trial Symposium: Steven R. Smith, M.D. will present during this symposium at 10:20 a.m. ET (ID 178416).
- Poster 756-P: "Synergistic Anti-Obesity Effects of Optimized Amylinomimetic and PYY (3-36)-mimetic Peptides in Obese Rats" will be presented by Jonathan Roth, Ph.D. at noon and 5:30 p.m. ET.
A full list of Amylin abstracts being presented at Obesity 2009 will be available when the final meeting program is posted at www.obesity.org/obesity2009.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.