Olympus, a global technology leader in designing and delivering innovative solutions for medical and surgical procedures, among other core businesses, announced today its new 510(k) cleared EZDilate multi-stage endoscopic balloon dilator for improved precision and control in endoscopic balloon dilation procedures.
For gastroenterologists, EZDilate provides efficient navigation through difficult anatomy, easier placement and positioning within the stricture, and an accurate achievement of target diameters. Where some balloons have been reported to demonstrate inaccuracy in meeting target diameters, EZDilate research data supports that it more accurately achieves target inflation diameters with no over-inflation required.
According to Truven Health Analytics, approximately 492,000 balloon dilations are conducted each year in the United States. Eighty-eight percent of these procedures are esophageal dilations, conducted to address strictures such as those in the esophagus caused by chronic acid reflux.
The EZDilate balloon dilator is an important addition to the Olympus EndoTherapy line-up because it allows for completion of the full portfolio of core device offerings for gastroenterologists. EZDilate will be available through the ASC Select Program, which is designed to help ambulatory surgery centers obtain high-quality products at reduced prices. Among other products packaged in the ASC Select Program are biopsy forceps, hemostasis clips, polyp traps, biopsy valves and more.
EZDilate balloon dilator provides the following benefits to gastroenterologists:
- Precise and efficient navigation: Rapid inflation, insertion and deflation times promote overall procedural speed and efficiency. The softer atraumatic tip[ii] and low profile balloon catheter are designed for efficient insertion and navigation to the stricture while protecting sensitive anatomy.
- Precise positioning: The unique center visual marker facilitates precise placement, positioning accuracy and assessment of the stricture during dilation. Rounded balloon shoulders and ultra-clear material enable enhanced visualization of the stricture during dilation.
- Precision inflation: The EZDilate balloon dilator is engineered to provide superior diameter accuracy without the need to over-inflate to reach target specification. New sizing offered by Olympus enables inflation at half-millimeter intervals for more controlled, gradual dilation and a broader offering of unique diameters, when compared to the industry standard.
"I am excited about the release of the Olympus EZ Dilate balloons," said Dr. Paul Akerman. "The introduction of the balloons will help complete the Olympus EndoTherapy devices selection. The new balloon has the advantages of improved visualization through the inflated balloon along with the mid balloon endoscopic marker that will assist in accurately placing the balloon. I look forward to using the balloon in clinical practice."
"This new device is exciting for its advancements in balloon dilation precision and also because of the opportunities it presents our customers for accessing a more complete and cost-effective line-up of EndoTherapy devices from Olympus," said Richard Reynolds, Executive Vice President - Sales, Marketing of the Medical Systems Group at Olympus Corporation of the Americas. "The announcement builds upon our continuing commitment to the triple aim of healthcare reform – increased quality of care, reduced costs and improved patient satisfaction."
Designed with performance and patient safety in mind, Olympus' products help physicians deliver value to patients and help healthcare facilities meet the following key healthcare reform initiatives:
- Increased Quality of Care: Olympus' EndoTherapy devices contribute to easier, more precise access to complicated anatomy, potentially reducing the risks of trauma and complications.
- Decreased Costs: EZDilate completes Olympus' portfolio of EndoTherapy devices, which enables pricing benefits for facilities through flexible, customized pricing packages.
- Enhanced Patient Satisfaction: Olympus' therapeutic devices help physicians access the anatomy and provide treatment to patients in need so they can have a better quality of life.
The EZDilate balloon dilator will be showcased at the New York Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (NYSGE) to be held at the New York Marriott Marquis Hotel in Manhattan on December 17-18.