Depression, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), sleep disorder and migraine: These are among the comorbidities reported to occur more often in people who said they had been diagnosed with epilepsy versus those without an epilepsy diagnosis, according to a survey of approximately 173,000 households across the U.S.
Findings from "CNS-Related Comorbidities in Individuals with Self-Reported Epilepsy - Data from the National Survey of Epilepsy, Comorbidities and Health Outcomes" will be detailed in a platform presentation on Dec. 7 at the 2009 American Epilepsy Society (AES) Annual Meeting in Boston. The analysis explores the importance of identifying these Central Nervous System (CNS)-related comorbid conditions, and their potential impact on the clinical management of epilepsy.
The survey results are one of eight presentations supported by Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (OMJPI) at the AES Meeting.
Saturday, Dec. 5: 1-8 p.m. (author presentations 2-3 p.m.)
- Poster 1.136: "Tolerability of Carisbamate as Adjunctive Treatment of Partial Onset Seizures in Adults in Three Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Studies"; M.R. Sperling, E. Faught, J. Schmitt, F. Wiegand, G. Novak
- Poster 1.134: "Carisbamate as Adjunctive Treatment of Partial Onset Seizures in Adults: Results at 18 Months From an Ongoing Open-label Extension of a Double-blind, Randomized, Dose-ranging Study"; S. Lippmann, W. Rosenfeld, F. Wiegand, J. Schmitt, G. Novak
- Poster 1.329: "Improving Neurologist-Patient Communication to Promote More Effective Assessment of Side Effects and Comorbidities in Epilepsy: Results of a Phase II Communication Study"; J.M. Stern, D. Labiner, F. Gilliam, P. Penovich, M. Onofrey, C. Eagan, E. Mathis, G.L. Holmes
- Poster 1.127: "An Open-label Extension of Two Placebo-controlled Studies of Carisbamate as Adjunctive Treatment of Partial Onset Seizures in Adults: 18-month Update"; J. Halford, R. Kalviainen, E. Ben-Menachem, J. Schmitt, F. Wiegand, G. Novak
- Poster 1.121: "Factors Associated with Time to Discontinuation of Antiepileptic Drug (AED) Treatment In a Commercially-insured Population of Patients with Epilepsy Receiving 2 or 3 AEDs"; J.B. Forlenza, S.S. Johnston, E. Durden, G. Lenhart, S. Ascher, D.M. Biondi, L.A. Costa, G.J. Wan
- Poster 1.204: "A Drug-Drug Interaction Study of Carisbamate and the Oral Contraceptive, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo ®, in Healthy Women"; K. Moore, P. Zannikos, B. Solanki, A. Dibernardo, G. Romano, H.R. Brashear
Sunday, Dec. 6: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. (author presentations 4-5 p.m.)
- Poster 2.145: "Health Status Burden in Individuals with Self-Reported Epilepsy from the National Survey of Epilepsy, Comorbidities and Health Outcomes"; J. Cramer, R. Ottman, R.B. Lipton, A.B. Ettinger, M. Yang, M.L. Reed, G.J. Wan
Monday, Dec. 7: Platform Presentations 4-6:15 p.m.
- Presentation C:05: "CNS-Related Comorbidities in Individuals with Self-Reported Epilepsy from the National Survey of Epilepsy, Comorbidities and Health Outcomes"; R. Ottman, R.B. Lipton, A.B. Ettinger, J.A. Cramer, M.L. Reed, G.J. Wan
SOURCE Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.