Marlborough, Mass. Boston Scientific Corporation today announced the European launch of the LithoVue™ Single-Use Digital Flexible Ureteroscope for minimally invasive endoscopic procedures to diagnose and treat stones and other conditions of the kidney, ureter and bladder. By providing a single-use flexible ureteroscope for urologists, the LithoVue System is designed to address the inconsistent performance, operational challenges and costs associated with widely used reusable scopes that require maintenance, sterilization and reprocessing.
The LithoVue System is designed to deliver high-quality digital visualization and seamless navigation for consistent clinical performance during each patient procedure. Unlike reusable ureteroscopes, the LithoVue System can overcome the common challenges of unpredictable scope repairs and maintenance, reprocessing, sterilization and degradation of scope performance over time. The LithoVue System eliminates many of the inefficiencies and financial costs of ownership for reusable ureteroscopes, such as:
- On average, new digital flexible ureteroscopes require repair after fewer than 12 uses and cost more than $6,000 per repair.
- Procedural delays are often due to reprocessing and repairs, and on average occur several times per day at a cost of $830 per delay.
- Hospitals can eliminate many of the steps required to use, maintain and handle a reusable ureteroscope.
“Flexible ureteroscopy is considered the gold standard for treating many stones in the ureter and kidney, and the LithoVue System provides high-quality visualization that is comparable to or better than the leading digital reusable ureteroscopes,” said Glenn M. Preminger, M.D., Professor of Urologic Surgery and director of the Duke University Comprehensive Kidney Stone Center. “We believe that the LithoVue System offers a safe, effective and affordable solution that helps to avoid many of the hassles and unpredictable challenges of reusable ureteroscopes, without compromising visualization or maneuverability.”
The LithoVue System features:
- High-resolution images: A digital CMOS imager in the 7.7F tip, with a working distance of 2mm–50mm, produces superb quality images across a depth of field that is equivalent to or better than those from other commonly used reusable scopes on the market.
- Seamless navigation: Full 270˚ scope deflection in both directions provides accurate navigation toward the targeted treatment area.
- All-in-one solution: The LithoVue workstation monitor with integrated image processing software is mounted on a compact, rolling mobile cart which can be used alone during a ureteroscopic procedure or connected to existing monitors and integrated video systems in the operating room suite.
“At Boston Scientific, we are committed to providing innovative solutions to the healthcare challenges that our customers face every day,” said Karen Prange, senior vice president and president, Urology and Pelvic Health, Boston Scientific. “The LithoVue System is an example of how we are focused on addressing unmet needs by providing urologists and hospitals a predictable, cost-effective, minimally invasive endoscope for the management of kidney stones.”
The LithoVue System is now available in the U.S., Europe and New Zealand.