Instruments designed to meet the demand for enhanced productivity displayed at Analytica
Laboratories can now expand productivity levels using products designed to meet increasing demands for sustainability, cost-effectiveness and performance.
Today’s laboratories face a challenge to produce meaningful results in a fast, yet cost-effective manner. A number of the latest innovations in laboratory instruments and equipment, which are on display at Analytica 2016 (Messe München, booth 101, hall B1) in Munich, Germany, have been designed to enhance productivity, provide easier operability and improve safety.
"We recognize that many lab managers are facing reduced budgets, yet the expectation for faster, more accurate results remains a priority," said Fred Lowery, senior vice president, and president of laboratory products, Thermo Fisher Scientific. "We have committed a large portion of our R&D budgets to develop instruments and equipment that are critical across life science labs. Our goal is to provide customers with increased throughput, sustainable performance and most important, sample integrity."
The latest additions to Thermo Fisher’s product portfolio were designed with the intent of improving productivity:
- The new Thermo Scientific TSX400 ultra-low temperature (ULT) freezer consumes up to 50 percent less energy than conventional ultra-low freezers and delivers precision temperature control that continuously adapts to the laboratory environment. The TSX400 ULT freezer is capable of storing 400 boxes within its 0.79 m2 footprint. It is designed to offer a greener cold storage solution including lower power consumption, reduced noise and higher efficiency without compromising the integrity of sample storage.
- With an increased focus on improving laboratory workflow and efficiency, the new low-noise versions of the Thermo Scientific ThermoFlex 900 and 1400 recirculating chillers deliver the same cooling power and temperature control precision as existing ThermoFlex models of the same size, but with quieter operation. This feature limits worker distractions, creating a safer, more ergonomic work environment.
- The new Thermo Scientific Precision water baths are designed to save valuable benchtop space with smaller footprints compared to existing models while maintaining excellent temperature control and stability. Equipped to provide laboratories with high efficiency, more reliable, optimized workflows, these water baths include drains, hinged lids and accommodations for large 500 mL flasks.
- For bioscience researchers running microplate assays, the Thermo Scientific Varioskan LUX multimode microplate reader delivers versatility. Combined with the Thermo Scientific SkanIt Software, it offers features to help simplify data acquisition and analysis. Smart safety controls identify and alert users of potential errors that could compromise their research. The automatic dynamic range selection feature simplifies assay setup by selecting the optimal reading range based on signal intensity for each well, saving users’ time and providing more reliable data.
- Designed to increase reproducibility and deliver high-quality samples in less time, the Thermo Scientific KingFisher Duo Prime nucleic acid and protein purification system provides an alternative to manual purification methods, handling up to 24 samples per run. The system utilizes magnetic bead-based KingFisher technology to help improve reproducibility and deliver high quality samples. It features an integrated UV lamp and may be integrated with a barcode reader, providing the ability to track sample and consumables information.
- The new line of Fisher Chemical gas chromatography (GC) headspace grade solvents are designed to detect residual solvents and improve user safety. Headspace grade solvents allow researchers to improve detection of impurities, are tested to ensure low organic contamination, amplify productivity and ensure detection of class 1 to 3 residual solvents.