On Sunday 21 July, from 18:00 – 18:45 (CDT), leaders in the HIV field will brief journalists just before the start of the 10th IAS Conference on HIV Science (IAS 2019) opening session on the most current and pressing global health challenges, including the recent state of humanitarian conflict, natural disasters, global migration, and regional outbreaks. The press conference will provide new, in-depth insights on the current global crisis across regions and among specific populations.
- (Chair) Anton Pozniak, IAS 2019 International Scientific Chair, on current state of the HIV epidemic and what is needed to attain universal health coverage (UHC)
- Brenda Crabtree Ramirez, IAS 2019 Local Scientific Chair, on the state of Latin America's HIV epidemic and vulnerable populations
- Fatima Mir, Assistant professor Pediatrics, The Aga Khan University Karachi, on the pediatric HIV outbreak in Pakistan
- Quarraisha Abdool Karim, Professor, Columbia University/CAPRISA, on how access to services for women and girls is under threat
- Momchil Baev, Sexual Health Program Manager, SingleStep, on the rising epidemic in Eastern Europe
- Ambassador Deborah Birx, U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator and U.S Special Representative for Global Health Diplomacy, on what is needed to control the global HIV epidemic
Note that space is limited, please arrive by 17:30.
Press Conference Room, Casa Montejo 3, Casas Level
The event is open to media registered to attend IAS 2019. Onsite media registration opens on Sunday, 21 July at 07:00 CDT.
For more information, please find the full press program available here.