Microwave manufacturers left with egg on their faces

NewsGuard 100/100 Score
Microwave ovens should display clear warnings about exploding eggs, suggest researchers in this week's BMJ.

They report a case of a 9 year old girl who sustained a serious eye injury from an exploding microwaved egg.

The girl reheated a previously boiled egg (with an intact shell) using a domestic microwave oven at full power for about 40 seconds. Around 30 seconds later, as she was carrying it to the dining area, the egg exploded with part of it hitting her right eye and face.

She sustained a full thickness corneal perforation and rupture of the lens capsule, reducing her vision to being able to see only hand movements. Three months after treatment, her vision recovered.

In their instruction manuals, manufacturers of microwave ovens warn against heating eggs with an intact shell and recommend multiple piercing before cooking or heating eggs, even those already boiled, write the authors.

In view of the potential seriousness of injury from exploding microwaved eggs, such warnings should be made more obvious, possibly being displayed on the microwave oven itself, they conclude.

Comments

The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of News Medical.
Post a new comment
Post

While we only use edited and approved content for Azthena answers, it may on occasions provide incorrect responses. Please confirm any data provided with the related suppliers or authors. We do not provide medical advice, if you search for medical information you must always consult a medical professional before acting on any information provided.

Your questions, but not your email details will be shared with OpenAI and retained for 30 days in accordance with their privacy principles.

Please do not ask questions that use sensitive or confidential information.

Read the full Terms & Conditions.

You might also like...
Advanced sequencing reveals eye microbiome variances linked to dry eye