Jun 18 2010
Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: AMLN) today announced that the Company will present data for its FDA-approved diabetes drugs, BYETTA® (exenatide) injection and SYMLIN® (pramlintide acetate) injection, and its investigational diabetes drug candidate BYDUREON™ (exenatide extended-release for injectable suspension) at the American Diabetes Association's (ADA's) 70th Annual Scientific Sessions being held in Orlando, FL from June 25 to June 29. The Company will also webcast an investor presentation on Sunday, June 27 at 7:30 PM ET.
The annual meeting of the ADA is one of the largest scientific meetings for endocrinologists and other health care professionals involved in diabetes research and diabetes care. Amylin will introduce data through two oral presentations and 21 posters at the meeting. The data presented will demonstrate significant progress in key research and clinical programs for BYETTA, BYDUREON and SYMLIN. Additional information will be presented during two corporate symposia.
"We are very excited to have such an active presence at this year's meeting and present compelling new data for BYETTA and SYMLIN that further demonstrate their safety and efficacy profiles," said Daniel M. Bradbury, president and chief executive officer of Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. "We are also sharing important data from our ongoing BYDUREON clinical program that will provide new insights about the potential of this investigational therapy in the treatment of diabetes. Our progress in each of these programs demonstrates our continued commitment to the innovative science that can help transform the lives of people living with diabetes."
For the first time, Amylin is also hosting an Online Summit focusing on perspectives from leaders within the diabetes community and information from topics that will be discussed at ADA. The summit provides a resource to help advance understanding of the key issues facing the field and viewpoints on the latest innovations and treatment strategies that will shape the future of diabetes care. The first online perspectives were posted on June 7 and will continue throughout the meeting. Additional "wrap-up" perspectives will be posted in the weeks following the conference. Content from the Online Summit is available on Amylin's corporate website at www.amylin.com.
KEY AMYLIN ABSTRACTS BEING PRESENTED AT ADA
- Oral: "Safety and Tolerability of Exenatide Once Weekly Pooled Summary of 1095 Patients From DURATION-1, 2, and 3" will be presented by Dana Lee, PharmD on Saturday, June 26 at 9:00 AM ET.
- Oral: "Enhanced Amylin-Mediated Weight Loss in Ovariectomized Rats is Associated With Increased Metabolism and Does Not Require Intact Leptin Signaling" will be presented by Jonathan Roth, Ph.D. on Sunday, June 27 at 5:00 PM ET.
- Late Breaking Poster: "DURATION-5: Exenatide Once Weekly Results in Significantly Greater Improvements in Glycemic Control With Less Nausea Than Exenatide Twice Daily in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes" will be presented by Thomas C. Blevins, M.D. during a poster session on Monday, June 28 from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM ET.
- Late Breaking Poster: "Exenatide Added to Insulin Glargine-Treated Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Achieved Glycemic Targets and Weight Loss With No Increased Risk of Hypoglycemia" will be presented by John B. Buse, M.D., Ph.D. during a poster session on Monday, June 28 from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM ET.
- Poster: "A Retrospective Cohort Study to Assess the Relative Risk of Acute Pancreatitis Among Initiators of Exenatide Compared to Initiators of Other Antidiabetic Medication: A Follow-up Study" will be presented by Rebecca Noel, Dr.PH., MSPH during a poster session on Monday, June 28 from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM ET.
- Poster: "Three-Year Exenatide Therapy, Followed By a 4-Week Off-Drug Period, Had a Sustainable Effect on Beta-cell Disposition Index in Metformin Treated Patients With Type 2 Diabetes" will be presented by Mathijs C. Bunck, M.D. during a poster session on Monday, June 28 from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM ET.
- Poster: "Cardiovascular Safety of Pramlintide: A Meta-Analysis of 5 Controlled Clinical Trials in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes" will be presented by Steven Chen, M.D. during a poster session on Monday, June 28 from 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM ET.
- ADA/The Lancet Symposium: Data from two of Amylin's clinical studies will be featured in this symposium. "Efficacy and Safety of Exenatide Once Weekly Versus Sitagliptin and Pioglitazone as an Adjunct to Metformin for Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes (DURATION-2): A Randomized Trial" will be presented by Richard Bergenstal, M.D. "Once Weekly Exenatide Compared with Insulin Glargine Titrated to Target in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes (DURATION-3): An Open-Label Randomized Trial" will be presented by Michaela Diamant, M.D. This symposium will feature research published in The Lancet's diabetes issue that coincides with the ADA Scientific Sessions. The event will be co-chaired by Patricia L. Brubaker, Ph.D. and Ulf Smith, M.D. on Saturday, June 26 at 8:00 AM ET.
- "Looking Beyond Glucose Control in Type 2 Diabetes — The Cardiovascular, Cardioprotective, and Weight Effects of GLP-1." This medical education symposium will help healthcare providers understand the established effects of GLP-1 based therapies on body weight and cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes. The event will be chaired by Patrick J. Boyle, M.D.; Ralph A. DeFronzo, M.D.; and Carol H. Wysham, M.D. on Saturday, June 26 at 5:30 PM ET. This symposium is supported by an educational grant from Amylin Pharmaceuticals and Lilly USA, LLC.
- "Diabetes Close to the Heart; A Comprehensive Approach to Managing Type 2 Diabetes." A first-of-its kind event, Diabetes Close to the Heart is a thought-provoking, science-based educational program that looks at the management of type 2 diabetes through a one-act play and expert panel discussion. Steven Edelman, M.D., recipient of the ADA's 2009 Outstanding Educator in Diabetes Award, will lead a discussion aimed at effecting change in the overall management of type 2 diabetes with a multi-disciplinary group of nationally-recognized healthcare professionals. The event will take place on Sunday, June 27 at 6:00 PM ET and is funded by Amylin Pharmaceuticals.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.